𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝐸𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉

***
"We'll be leaving for a few days to check on Lisa."

"Lisa?! How is she these days?"

"She's better than before and she's recovering very fast." A warm smile appeared on my mother's face, content about visiting Lisa since she was a dear friend to her. They were always chatting and about whenever they were together.

Always in their own world.

Lisa was a very kind woman, but very courageous as well. She once caught a thief while she was shopping, and scolded him when he turned out to be a teenager.

I laughed recalling the memory. Mason was really embarrassed that day, his whole face was red. He looked very cute.

Lisa was Mason's mother.

She was in a car accident last year and has been hospitalized ever since. But since his father was overseas, Mason and Lisa left to go live with him.

"Does that mean I'll get to come too?!" I exclaimed. This meant that I would get to see Mason again. I could talk to him about that phone call, and the strange voicemail.

"No, honey. You have school." She reached over and grabbed my hand, comforting me with a sad smile. "I know how much you want to see Mason, but you have an exam next week and an assignment due to Tuesday."

I don't know where she got that information from, but she was right. "Mom, I'll finish the assignment today and I'll have Lewis tutor me for the exam, so please let me go." I desperately pleaded. I needed to see Mason and I wasn't going to let this opportunity slip away.

"I'll actually do my chores."

"I'll go to family reunions..."

"I'll even go shopping with you!"

"You really want to go, huh?" I vigorously nodded, waiting for her answer. "But I'm sorry, honey. You really need to focus on school."

I didn't expect much. I mean, this happens every time, but this-this was different. I was delusional, thinking that I would finally get to speak with Mason.

We're starting to grow apart. He's becoming more distant every day, and I... I have never felt more hopeless.

"Then can I ask you for a favor?"

"Of course. What is it?"

"Could you ask Mason to call me? Or text me?"

She raised an eyebrow at my suspicious request, and in spite of her skeptical look, she agreed to my request.

I stood up and grabbed a chocolate bar from the kitchen. The ones that belonged to my dad. I'm sure he won't notice one missing, or maybe he will, because I'm pretty sure he counts them. Really weird, but I'm taking the risk.

I walked upstairs and into my room. My head was brimming with thoughts about the voicemail. I mean- it was so sudden! And after ignoring my messages the whole time, he leaves me hanging like that.

Again.

What the hell was going on with Mason?

I love him. I really do. But I'm getting really impatient here. Even though Mason was definitely worth the wait, I really don't know how long it'll take before I break.

I truly believe Mason has a reason for- for all of this mess. Well, I believed. Despite having all of my faith in him, the unwavering trust built between us, I've started to doubt some things.

Mason was not helping, at all. Especially with that voicemail. It made me feel bittersweet. And the thought of him actually talking about me, lit a fire inside of my heart.