Heartbeat

*3rd POV*

Charlotte leaned against the slimy wall of the cave as she pondered her situation. She was overwhelmed by what has been going on the past few days. She was on a cruise ship set up by her best friends, her crazy ex showed up, the ship sank, and now mermaids exist. Thankfully the one she knows is nice and gives her some of his catchings. However, she kept wondering and looked at the large opening in the roof of the cave. She wondered how the world handled the sinking of the cruise line and the families who were now mourning.

She kept thinking of the flooding inside and how in a matter of minutes her room was filled with water and her friend were gone. So many lives were on that ship and many of them were children, who didn't get the chance of experience life. Charlotte was thanking that Kai saved her from the sinking ship, otherwise she would have been laying at the bottom of the ocean floor, where light couldn't reach the bottom and the mysteries of the deep linger. She had no way of contacting the outside world or where she was. All she could see were trees outlining the edge of the hole and the clouds slowly moving by.

"Who would have thought I would be in a cave, in the middle of nowhere, and talks to mermaids. Everyone thinks I'm dead... My mom, my dad, and my little sister but be so sad right now. I'm supposed to be arriving back home by now, but here I am. I'm sticky, I smell, I feel disgusting, I've only had fish too eat, and my clothes feel like slime!" Charlotte's voice began to rise louder as she pulled on her hair and cried out.

She was all alone, no human nearby, sore, and scared.

"I just want to go home! I wanna have mom's good cooking, hear dad's lame jokes, talk with my sister, and I just want to-" Charlotte's voice was losing itself as she sobbed. "I WANT TO GO HOME! I DON'T WANT TO LIVE HERE THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!"

Charlotte pulled at her hair aggressively. She fell to her knees and sobbed loudly. Everything had suddenly crashed on her at once.

She didn't realize, Kai slowly getting out fo the water and crawl his way to her. He watched quietly as Charlotte snapped and cried. He wasn't sure of what to do, but he knew he needed to do something to help her. He reached out to her, but he hesitated when he went to touch her.

'Was it right? Should I be here? What should I do?'

Many questions when though his mind, but he did what was natural to him. He placed his hand on the back on her head and patted her gently. Charlotte suddenly stopped crying and looked up at Kai with a questionable look on her face. She was shocked, surprised, and confused.

"What's wrong?"

"K-Kai?" She sniffed. "What are you doing here?"

"I came by to give you some food, but I saw you were upset. What's wrong?"

"N-Nothings wrong Kai. Thank you." He scooted closer.

"You lie." Charlotte tried to look away. But Kais puppy eyes were powerful. She tried to ignore but she sighed in defeat.

"I'm a little home sick is all. It's just so much is happening all at once. On day I'm on a cruise with my friends and the next I'm in a cave and everyone is dead.

Kai nodded. Charlotte was over come with emotion again and began to cry again. Kai stiffened. He didn't know what to do, the mermaids back with the pod never cry, so this was a first and an uncomfortable situation for him. He knew humans were emotional creatures. He wanted to help so he dod the first thing that came to his mind.

He scooted closer to her, almost touching, he placed his hand on the back of her head and pulled her head to his chest. Charlotte was surprised by this. She was going to pull away when she heard the sound of his heart beating. It was calming and relaxing. His heart has beating fast. Charlotte hugged Kai tightly. He held his arms awkwardly to his sides. Charlotte began to sob again. He slowly wrapped his arms around her and held her to his chest.

'This feels nice.' Kai thought.

Charlotte and Kai stayed there in each others arms as she listened to the sound of his heartbeat. After several minutes, Charlotte fell asleep. Kai gently layer her down on her back. He pulled the thin jacket over Charlotte body and began to pull himself back to the water. He was feeling dry. He slithered into the water, trying to not wake her up. Before he dove in, he looked back at Charlotte sleeping peacefully with tears staining her face. He gripped his spear tight in guilt and left. Disappearing into the dark waters that lead to the open sea.