Behind Blue Eyes

"Are you sure?" Fitz whispered, glancing around the kitchen entranceway, making sure that Olivia hadn't somehow managed to sneak in there without him seeing. It had taken weeks of grovelling and arguments before she had finally managed to forgive him for having Eric request a transfer for Edison. She wasn't going to be in a great mood when she heard the latest developments in what had been a continuing nuisance for the two men.

"I was there when they handed me the papers, Fitz. His mom is suing." Eric ran a hand through his hair, tossing his dark locks.

"You or the prison?"

"Does it matter?" he sighed, vigorously rubbing the back of his neck. "She filed a wrongful death suit. They will investigate."

"It does matter. It's easier for things to get buried if they're looking at the whole prison."

Eric stuffed his hand in his pocket, digging around for a moment before producing a cigarette, stuffing the end between his lips. He wouldn't light it inside, Fitz knew that; it was there to comfort him. "You're already giving legal advice?"

"I can't be your attorney," Fitz crossed his arms, "But I can give you the tools to take to your attorney that will help you win. To keep your job and reputation."

"Do I deserve that?" Eric's eyes flashed and his voice cracked, "We knew before we started this what the outcome was going to be - we took justice into our own hands instead of trusting the justice system. The system we're both sworn to uphold." The loud, ringing sound of skin connecting with wood echoed throughout the apartment. Eric rubbed his hand, the tender flesh already turning an angry shade of red. A grimace crossed Fitz's face at the sound of the shower shutting off - Olivia would be out to question the noise.

"I don't regret what we did." Both men turned their attention to the bedroom door as it opened. Olivia stood in the doorway, a towel wrapped tightly around her body, and glanced from Fitz to Eric.

"Are you guys okay?" she asked, spitting a stray strand of hair from her mouth.

"Eric hit his hand," Fitz offered as the other man raised his hand to meet Olivia's inspecting gaze.

"Why did Eric hit his hand?" Olivia inquired. Fitz cleared his throat - nodding at the, "Well?", look Eric tossed his way. They might as well tell her. She would eventually find out and there was no point in repeating their weeks' long argument once more.

"Edison's mom is suing the prison," Eric stated, actively avoiding Olivia's gaze.

"Both of you promised me that you had nothing to do with that." Olivia tossed her hands in the air, a frown marring her features. Fitz's quick reaction was all that kept her towel from tumbling to the floor at her sudden movement. Taking the ends of the towel from Fitz's hands, Olivia tightly tucked the towel back into place.

"Directly, we were not involved," Fitz assured her, "Indirectly, they can make it look like we were involved."

Shaking her head, Olivia turned back toward the bedroom, "I'm going to get dressed. Then, I want to know the truth. Enough riddles."

The two men idled in the living room, avoiding conversation as they waited on Olivia. It wasn't long before she reemerged, dressed in a pair of black shorts and one of Fitz's football jerseys. With effort, Fitz tore his gaze from the beautiful sight and scooted on the soft sofa, patting the now empty space closest to Olivia. She took a seat, perching on the edge.

"After I got Edison transferred," Eric began, taking a deep breath, "I spoke to one of the inmates and gave him information about Edison..."

"And that's why they attacked him." Olivia filled in, shaking her head. "I hate to say I told you so."