Chapter 1

***Matt’s POV

I woke up to the sound of people getting their carry-on bags from the top compartment of the plane. I yawned and stretched as I watched people file down the aisle.

It’s too early for this, I thought to myself as I started fishing my phone out of my pocket.

The screen read noon.

Well, guess it’s not technically that early.

I rubbed my eyes before I tried standing up from my window seat but I was too tall. I hunched over until I could finally stand up straight. Why the heck did I not get a later flight? I’m so tired.

I played a show last night and flew all the way from Toronto to Penticon this morning, sure jet lag was in my favor this time around but I’m still worn out from all those weeks of no sleep. I sluggishly grabbed my bag and left the plane.

I felt my pocket vibrate as soon as I left the terminal and saw a picture of my friend of my friend Mark calling.

“Hey Mark, what up?” I answered.

“I called your phone like three times already. Where are you?” he asked.

“Sorry, man, my flight was slightly delayed. I just got off the plane and should be at baggage claim soon.” I said as I tried making my way through the mounds of people trying to get onto their flights.

“Alright, I’m out front with John.” Mark said.

“Sweet. Sounds good. See you in a bit.” I said right before I hung up.

I mindless walked to recover my suitcase from baggage claim. I knew this airport like the back of my hand since I enjoyed flying here on my days off. My buddy Mark was finally getting married today after being with his girlfriend Jamie for about four years. Let me tell you something, Mark was a very lucky man.

I have this terrible habit of having mini-crush’s on my friend’s girlfriends just because they all happen to have the best luck with finding these amazing girls. Sure, I can get girlfriends but they’re all pretty casual, low commitment and far spaced.

I also tended to gravitate towards more high maintenance girls even though I know from past experience that things never work out and it takes a lot of upkeep. Most of the time those beautiful girls just aren’t worth it but I can never seem to find one of those girl-next-door kind of girls that everyone else seems to find.

Maybe I just need to move.

No. That’s ridiculous.

“Matt!”

I turned my head as I exited the airport to see Mark waving me over to his car. I smiled as I made my way over.

“Long time no see, man!” John, Jamie’s brother, said as he came over to give me a bro hug. Totally masculine.

“I know! I missed you last time I was in town.” I said as I made my way to the trunk.

“Just by like a day. What happened?” he asked as Mark popped the trunk for my suitcase.

“I had to go home to work on our record.” I said while throwing my suitcase in the back and closing the trunk.

“Right! I forgot about all that band stuff. So you guys are finished with it?” John asked.

“Yeah, we had a little road trip tour to help promote it but it’s still really new. We should be shooting a video soon.” I explained.

“Ladies, can we continue the gabbing in the car? I kind of have a wedding today.” Mark called out from the drivers’ door.