Chapter 5 | The Truth

Jakob stood watching over Flake's body laying there in the hospital bed, he could hear the machine wheezing simultaneously with Flake's breath. The doctors had been by a while ago and told Jake that Flake would be alright, he would most likely not be able to do fieldwork ever again, Jakob knew that the truth would hurt Flake, but he also knew that Flake would get through it. Jakob had spent the last 48 hours thinking, there was too much information roaming about in his head, it was all a mess. Nothing, yet everything made sense, he didn't know where to go, what to do, all he knew was that everything was wrong and he was the source of it. Even before all of this started he would be the cause of things, being a freak and a cyborg made him always become the one everyone guilt-tripped into being the cause. The world is changing, technology is becoming more and more integrated with humans, he wouldn't be surprised if a few years in the future that humans actually integrate themselves with tech literally. "excuse me, sir, I'm here to take of care Flake" a nurse stepped into the room carrying a plate of needles and bandages. "sure go ahead miss, I was leaving know anyways..." Jake picked up his coat and barged out the doors.

Jake was sitting in his office with a freshly baked pair of pretzels he had bought from down the street. The warmth and smell from the pretzels made Jake want to eat them right away, he could feel his cybernetic mouth being moistened. Jake had completely ruined the gang of Red metal, his best friend was laying in a hospital with injuries he most likely would never be able to heal from. Jake threw the empty paper bag in a garbage can and wiped his mouth with a piece of paper he had in his pocket, to Jakob's surprise the piece of paper Jake wiped his mouth with, wasn't actually even paper, it was an ultra clean memory card.

Jake slammed the door on his way into his apartment, he hadn't even taken off his shoes before he had accessed his mainframe in his server room. He loaded up the memory card and started to decrypt it. As he was decrypting it he went about and did the dishes. After a while he noticed in his UI that the decrypt was done, so he unloaded the files. The series of files that were found on the card was unnerving. There were 7 files, all of which contained people with extraordinary abilities, one was half crocodile, and another had according to the file been exposed to extreme heat and other materials at the same time giving him the ability to heat up his body and quite literally become a human flame. Amongst the files, he noticed a folder that was familiar. The folder was named 777 and contained information about Jakob, whoever made these folders had discovered rumors in the web about an unbelievable machine/human living amongst humans. He stood there still holding a plate that was at this point almost dry, he made an analysis based on the information he had been given, these people were all apart of a team that someone with power wanted to create. And they had given Jakob a memory card with the folders on it to allow Jakob to decide for himself if he wanted in on the mission, whatever it was. He knew he had to think about it, so much was already happening in his life at this moment in time, and Flake was still in the hospital.

When Jakob closed the folder he almost instantly got an email from an unknown sender.

"We, are one. You are one. Join us" the email was signed with a single letter, F. "F?" Jake thought, maybe the leader of the institution? Or maybe the first letter of the organization name? Whatever it was, it or they wanted him. "Damn it" Jake sighed...

Thanks for reading my short story, books one is now finished but I will begin work on book 2 right away after a little break. Thanks again for reading! If you want to get notified for when I begin work on book 2, follow me on twitter: @Hexfulyt. Thanks again!