Chapter 6

Conny carefully balanced hot plates of food on his arms as he headed toward the dining room table. It was emptier than the Thanksgivings in the past and was missing most of the people he loved, but he'd make do. Francesco and Wyatt were already eagerly looking at the piping hot plates of food. Their mouths were practically drooling.

"Cherie said we can't eat just yet," Conny warned as Francesco reached forward to grab a bread roll.

"Why not?" Wyatt complained, his eyes staring painfully at the steaming mashed potatoes. The slice of butter was slowly melting on top, spreading gold over the pale potatoes.

"She's still cutting the turkey," Conny explained, pointing to the counter where Cherie was carefully using a large knife to slice off pieces of roasted meat.

Conny stared at the food, feeling his stomach grumble slightly. To be honest, he hadn't had much of an appetite lately with the atmosphere. He was excited to join the military ranks soon, but it, of course, came with apprehension. He would be leaving the people he'd known for years to go share his residence with an array of strangers.

But then again, Conny had felt distanced from everyone as the years had drawn on. Cassie was too dedicated to the rebellion, caring for Elijah, and maintaining her relationship with Marc to show Conny the attention he desired. He had been saddened when their training days had come to an end. Now that Marc would be marrying Cassie, he was constantly at her side or additionally helping babysit Elijah. Even Lillian, someone who had always been a close friend to Conny, frequently spent time with Mitsuki instead, the girl who Conny was still slightly frightened of. Wyatt was an acquaintance, someone kind, but the age gap was awkward. Conny rarely felt like he connected to anyone these days.

"Turkey is served!" Cherie announced excitedly, breaking Conny free of his thoughts. She shoved the plate on the table, and soon enough, scoops of food were filling up the others' plates. As Conny took a bite of his turkey, he knew he'd miss Cherie's cooking most of all. The military food would probably not taste as extraordinary.

"It's a tinier Thanksgiving than expected tonight, but that means more for us," Cherie said gleefully.

"Why did so many go?" Wyatt complained, scooping mashed potatoes into his mouth.

"Well, it was good Marc went. He and Cassie will get married after all. And I suppose they wanted to save us some babysitting duties by bringing on Elijah. I was surprised Lillian agreed to go, but it's good she speaks to her mom, I think," Cherie rambled in between bites of green bean casserole.

"Why did Mitsuki have to go?" Wyatt complained. "I'm going to miss trying to eat pie faster than her for dessert."

Conny ate another scoop of mashed potatoes. Mitsuki deciding to go confused Conny as well. He supposed Lillian needed some support facing her family, but wouldn't Cassie and Marc have been enough? Then again, he swore that Lillian and Mitsuki were joined by the hip. It almost reminded him of when Irene and Lillian had an inseparable friendship during their teenage years.

Once again, Conny was reminded how little the others actually paid attention to him. He was no longer upset with Cassie and Marc's relationship, but he missed their company, especially the frequent conversations he used to have with his brother.. He'd felt more separated from Marc than ever before.

"You've been rather quiet, Conny. I hope that means the food is good," Cherie snoticed.

Conny nodded. "Have you heard anything?" he asked.

"Heard about what?" Francesco wondered.

Cherie bit her lip and stared at Conny. "Well, er, do you...do you want to tell them?"