6 // David's Here

Time went on and Max grew more and more tense by the minute. He began doubting that David would ever even show up. The young boy was now shivering as he paced back and forth in his room, repeatedly going to his bedroom window to look outside and see if David's car was there. His father was still downstairs drinking and watching some sports thing on TV, meaning that Max would have to sneak by him somehow.

'1:32'

Max grumbled nervously to himself, his hands balled into fists stuffed deep in his pocket. He went to the window one more time to see a car pull up. Relief flooded his mind. Then his heart dropped when he saw David get out of the car.

Max desperately attempted to wave him down through the window and get him to stay in the car so he could sneak outside, but it didn't work. David was practically jogging up to the front porch.

"Dammit." Max muttered under his breath, sprinting to his bedroom door, tripping over himself. He threw his door open and stumbled down the stairs. His head was foggy from blood-loss, his heart was pounding from fear, and his head boiled with anger. So much was happening and if he could just make it to the door he'd be ok. David would be ok. David would make sure he's ok.

"Boy get your ass back upstairs!" Max's dad grumbled, turning his head around from the couch, "What the hell is wrong with you tonight?"

Max froze, hand on the doorknob, staring at his dad like a deer in headlights. Then a loud banging came from the other side of the door, followed by David's frantic voice: "Max?! Max! Are you ok?!"

"David!" Max attempted to turn the handle only to find it was locked. His eyes trailed up to the top corner of the door where a slide lock had been installed. No matter how high Max jumped he wouldn't be able to reach it...

The boys heart dropped, his neon eyes widened as his father approached him. David's frantic shouting and banging seemed to grow distant as the hope of escaping drained out of Max.

"D-David it's locked." Max muttered. "It-it's locked."

"What the hell did you do, boy? Who is that?"

"D-dad...I..." for once, Max lost his voice. He wasn't able to get out of this situation now. David wasn't able to get him out of this situation.

The man balled his hand into a fist and brought it down on Max. The small boy slammed into the kitchen table and fell to the floor. Blood dripped down his nose and lip and he whimpered as he clutched his bleeding arm, hanging his head low. His head swam with fuzziness and black dots began consuming his vision.

Max's dad slid the lock, opening the front door. "Who are you? What do you want?" He peered our from a crack in the door.

David stood there, hair in shambles, clutching his shirt tightly, biting his lip. "Wh-where is Max? He called me, he asked me to come pick him up....Did you hurt him?"

The man's brow furrowed, eyes narrowing. "You're the camp counselor, aren't you? I don't know who you think you are but you better mind your own-"

"D-David!" A weak, muffled plea came from somewhere behind the door, and the redhead's eyes went wide. Without a second thought, he slammed his shoulder into the door, knocking the large man down with as much force as he could gather.

David gasped when he saw Max. The boy's hair was stuck to his forehead in sweat. A dark purple bruise was making itself known over Max's eye and blood trickled down his forehead, nose, and lip. Blood stained his sleeve and he was doubled over as if in unbearable pain. He whimpered softly, mumbling "David..." over and over again under his breath: that was all he could manage now.

"Hang on Max, I'm gonna get you out of here." David's voice was shaking as he heaved the boy up into his arms, clutching him close to his chest.

Max's dad was still on the ground, grumbling and clutching his head which had hit the wall. David sent a soul-piercing glare at the man, before walking out the door, closing it behind him.

Through teary eyes, he gently placed Max in the passengers seat, buckling him up, before climbing in the driver's side and slamming his foot down on the gas.

"Let's get you to a hospital."