Chapter One-Dragon's Power

Chapter One  

Dragon's Power

"You can't catch me!" Dominic screamed with laughter as he ran through the forest. My breath came in shallow gasps as I chased after him laughing myself. "I will too Dom!" He giggled and tripped over a tree root. When Dominic fell I felt the pain along with him and raced to his side and hugged him tight. "It's OK Dom; I'll make the pain go away." Dominic's cries weren't loud like most people's would be but somehow it drew the wolf to us. I heard the snap of a twig and I looked up and saw this big gray wolf growling at us. I felt Dominic's arms tighten around me as his fear heightened.  

I was scared too but I always felt my life wasn't as important as Dominic's life so I always shielded him from harm of all kinds. I grabbed a near by rock and threw it at the wolf trying to make it run away but I think I just made it mad because it lunged at us. I only had enough time to shove Dominic away before the wolf rammed into me. Next thing I know I felt extreme pain and I screamed loudly. My vision blurred and I could feel liquid flowing down the left side of my face. I was in too much pain though to feel anything else so I didn't know what Dominic was seeing.

Dominic's POV

My fear overwhelmed me when I saw the wolf and before I know it Damian shoved me away and I was horrified when I saw one of the wolf's fangs pierce Damian's left eye. I don't know how but one moment the wolf was on top of my brother and then the next it was sailing threw the air whimpering and father was lifting Damian in his arms. I felt myself be lifted by loving arms I knew was mother's but my focus was on my brother praying he wouldn't leave me alone.  

I don't know how long I was crying but I know I cried myself to sleep. I woke up and scrambled out of my bed and went to Damian's and cried more because he was still hurt and I couldn't help at all. I grabbed his hand hoping he would wake up. I hear the chamber door open and look up to find mother coming in with a light in her eyes. "Dominic, I know a way for Damian to be better but it has to remain a secret between the three of us. Can you keep it this way, honey?" I was confused but mother always knew best so I just nodded yes. She smiles and lifts Damian in her arms and then takes my hand and we quietly sneak out of our home and into the forest.  

I was frightened but I trust mother to keep us safe. I follow along behind her looking nervously around. When mother leads us to a cave half way up the mountain I get even more frightened. Mother looks down at me and smiles before walking into the cave. I follow her hoping she really knew what she was doing. I may be 3 years old but I'm smarter than the average one.  

A growl echoes in the cave and I nearly faint when I see the dragon come into view. Mother lays Damian in front of the dragon. "Please, mighty one save my son's life. His brother needs his protection." The dragon's eyes flick to me and I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside me.  

The dragon gathers up a magical haze and I see its reptilian body shift to a body of a man. I feel my face redden as I see his lower half before he magicks clothes onto himself. The haze evaporates and the dragon speaks. "If I save your son then he will be forever changed. Are you sure you wish this?" I grow weak kneed when his voice reaches me and I feel that warm fuzzy feeling get stronger. "I know what the consequences are dragon, but my sons need to be together for the future will be hard on Dominic a lot more if Damian is dead." My mother says as she wraps an arm around me and brings me forward. I can't help but smile shyly at him.  

The dragon's gaze stays on me a few moments before he speaks again. "Very well I will save Damian's life however; you must give Dominic to me when he is old enough to mate." I hear my mother gasp but I speak before she can say a word. "Save Damie please and I'll be yours forever." My mother squeaks but the dragon smiles and before my mother can do a thing I walk up to him. I feel his hand on my shoulder and a small sharp pain but I don't pay attention to it. "I will be sure to do just that. I have marked you as mine." He says and then he walks over to Damian and I watch as he places a hand over Damian's left eye. "Young one I give you half my magic to save your life." A pulsing light appears below the dragon's hand and it gradually trickles into Damian.

Damian's POV

Darkness descends as a warm light brightens. I feel a hand on my left eye and a smaller one holding onto my own hand. "Damie?" A voice breaks through the silence in my mind and I slowly open my eyes. I feel the hand on my eye lift and as my focus sharpens I see mother and Dominic smiling down at me with tears in their eyes. I feel a presence by me and I shift my gaze to it and see a dragon gazing at me. 'How do you feel?' I hear its voice in my head. "Like I got used as a chew toy buy a wolf." I reply out loud in a huff. The dragon laughs out loud. "Fear not for your brother any longer Dominic he will survive. However, I must warn you young Damian should I ever be in danger your new left eye will pulsate and cause you great pain. It is the price for having half of my magic flowing through you."  

I hear mother cry out at the thought of my pain and I smile at her. "Don't worry mother I'm always getting hurt anyways. I'll just have to get used to having a dragon eye that's all." Again the dragon laughs and for the first time since opening my eyes I see Dominic hugging him. "Does this mean I'm not the only one that's going to protect you Dom?" He smiles shyly as he nods. "All right well since you'll no doubt be part of the family in the future, dragon I believe you should give us your name." I say and see mother not liking that fact. "Come now mother you always say if we find love then we should grab on and never release it. So stop being stubborn and be happy for Dom." I say as I get up off the ground. Dominic laughs this time and runs and hugs me. "My name is Vulcus. You seem to be more open minded than most humans young Damian."  

I look at him and smirk. "Well if I'm going to keep your butt alive then you have to be a member of the family." I say and detach myself from Dominic and walk over to Vulcus. "Besides it's not every day you gain a dragon as a brother-in-law. Just a warning dragon, if Dominic cries because of you I'll kick your butt." He laughs and I smile knowing he and I will be the best of friends from here on out.