Chapter 4 : Sweet Goodbye for Sale

“Why are you so sad like that? Don’t tell me it’s because—“

“I’m going to tell you something, Soomi.” I cut her off. I was staring outside the window blankly.

“What is it?” she asked curiously.

I forced a smile, “Guess what? I’m going to be with my parents!” But I guess my tone doesn’t sound happy at all. I’m not happy at all because… I’m going to leave. I’m going to leave my best friend… my new found friend, Doojoon… and my everything… Yoseob.

“Really? They’re coming back here? That’s great! Why are you so sad about that?”

“I’m leaving!” I said in a sad tone.

“What? You’re… leaving?” her face suddenly became sad.

“They called me a week ago… they told me get ready in a week.” I replied

“Is that the reason why you’re busy the past week? You’re getting all your files from this school?” she asked

“Yes,” I nodded slowly, “I only want you to know about this. You’re not going to say it anyone else, okay?”

She nodded but tears were already falling on her cheeks. “I hate you, Eun Hye… You’re going to leave me!” she sobbed. I pulled her for a tight hug.

“I’m sorry…”

“Here,” Doojoon handed me a handkerchief.

“What’s this?” I asked

“Isn’t it obvious? That’s a handkerchief,” he replied without looking at me. We were now sitting on the bench in front of the school court. He said he wanted to talk to me.

“I know but… why are giving this to me? I’m not crying at all…” I replied looking at the handkerchief.

“It wasn’t that easy to get that, huh.” He replied

“Is this yours?” I asked

“Why would I give you something that is mine?” he asked back.

“I didn’t quiet catch that.”I muttered, “Okay, I’ll keep this… as a remembrance.” I smiled at him but he just kept his poker face. He looked away without a word.

“You’re not really planning to say it, eh?” he mumbled.

“What?”

“That’s Yoseob’s…”

“What? This handkerchief? W-Why did you give this to me?” I asked as I threw him the handkerchief. “Give that back to him! He might just say that I stole it from him!”

“I actually stole it for you,” he said coolly.

“Why would you do such thing? I didn’t even ask you to!” I said

“As what you said…as a remembrance…” he replied looking at me. “You’re leaving, right?”

“How did you…?”

He chuckled, “I thought I was your friend?” Why didn’t you tell me?”

“You are… I appreciate all the things you do for me…” He handed me the handkerchief, I took it from him saying, “If you’re going to give me something, give the thing that you own… I prefer it… than giving me a thing that you stole…”

“I did that because that’s what you wanted…” he replied

“It’s not!”

“Don’t fool me, so just take it.” Doojoon replied seriously.

“Thank you,”

“I didn’t—“

“You didn’t do that because of me, I know but still THANK YOU.” I said as I pulled him for a hug. He was surprised but he just hugged me back.

IT WAS THE DAY OF MY DEPARTURE. I’m here at the air port with Soomi and Doojoon saying good bye to me. Yes, Doojoon came. I didn’t expect the two of them here. And I don’t even expect Doojoon to come.

“What country anyways?” Doojoon asked again

“Canada,” I answered

“Poor Canada, they’re going to have you there.” Doojoon said seriously.

“Seriously?” I glared at him.

“Don’t mind him, Eun… Hey, I wanted to give this to you!” Soomi said as she handed me a big box.

“What’s this?”

“It’s a surprise! Just open it when you’re already in Canada, okay?” she smiled as she hugged me again.

“Okay, thanks.” She pulled back and I looked up to Doojoon who is just seriously watching us. “What about you? Don’t you have anything to give me before I leave?”

“Why would I?” Doojoon asked back.

“You told me I’m your friend,” I acted like I would cry.

“I called Yoseob,” Doojoon stated

“What?”

“I said, I called Yoseob”

“Then?”

“He’s not coming here. So stop looking around and looking for him because he’s not going here to say good bye or to even stop you.” That… actually hurt me. He’s right. I’ve been looking around to see if Yoseob’s coming.  “This time, I did that because of you.”

A smile crept into my lips, “Thanks!” then I hugged him.

He shook his head saying, “What the hell… I thought you’re going to cry.”