Chapter 2 : Attention for Sale

Our school’s sports festival is drawing near. But I don’t care much about that. Do you want to know why I’m that excited? It’s because I’ll be watching Yoseob again in playing soccer! He always plays soccer for our batch. Many girls are admiring him because of that, too.

I was walking now on the hallway of our school, making my way to the canteen. Soomi told me she has a project to do with some of our classmates. So here I am, walking alone. Nobody wanted to be my friend. Don’t try to ask, I might just lost my good mood.

“Look who’s here!” someone exclaimed as soon as I entered the canteen.

I tried to ignore the people who are now looking at me. I made my way to the counter and started to choose the food I wanted to buy. I could now hear whispers and even the vendor is staring at me weirdly.

“AH!” I gasped as soon as I felt my hair being grabbed at a full force.

“You’re ignoring me, huh?” her voice, it’s annoying. She’s smirking at me and still grabbing my beautiful hair.

“What’s your problem?” I asked as I tried to let go.

“What’s yours?” she asked back, “You must be thinking that I already forgot what you did to me? HA-HA! Stupid bitch!” she said as she let go of my hair and pushed me.

I fell on the ground but I immediately stood up and faced her, “You’re the bitch!”

“What?”

“Stupid bitch, story maker bitch!” I shouted in her face. Her eyes widened then he gritted her teeth. She was trying to stop herself form hurting me since there are so many people watching us. “What? You’re going to hurt me? Go on! You’re afraid that they might see your true color?”

“You bitch!” she yelled as she slapped me. I just stood there and looked up to her. I held my cheek and felt that it was already burning. It hurts but I just smiled. “Is that what you can do?”

“So you’re daring me?” she tried to smile but she can’t because of her anger. She was about to slap me again but I caught her hand. “Let go! You bitch!” she kept yelling.

I glared at her. “I’m saying this for the last time, stop bothering me!” I shouted in her face. “Stop making shitty stories because even if the whole world believes you, I don’t care.”

After that, I slapped her as hard as I can with a loud sound. Everyone gasped.

“THE HELL, YOU UGLY!” a very familiar voice said from behind me. I got pushed and eventually, I fell on the ground again. I looked up and saw someone I least expected.

It was Yoseob. He was hugging Mimi so tight. Mimi was faking a cry. “Babe, I was not doing anything on her! She started it all!”

I stood up and waited for Yoseob to look at me. He did but he was glaring at me saying, “Are you still conscious of my girl friend? Listen, no matter how many times you try to get my attention, I will never ever choose you over my girl friend!”

“I… I wasn’t doing anything!” I defended.

“I saw you! You slapped her!” Yoseob shouted in my face.

“She started it all! Believe me, I wasn’t hurting her before!” I tried to convince him but he just pushed me away. He was still hugging Soomi.

“Let’s go now,” he stated to Mimi then they started walking away. Yoseob was still glaring at me.

I lowered my gaze. All this time, he never treated me even as a friend. He was always thinking that I like him that much that I’m ready to do everything just for him. He was right. And he even called me UGLY.

Tears are starting to form in my eyes. I tried not to cry but I can’t stop it. “Eun Hye…”

I looked up and saw a guy in front of me. He was handing me a handkerchief. I never saw him before. Maybe he’s a transferee. “How did you know my name?” I asked

He softly laughed. “I thought you were shocked because I was giving you a handkerchief. Well, I’m your classmate in Math Class.” He said as he wiped my tears.

“Uh... I can do it,” I stammered as I immediately grabbed the handkerchief form his hand and started wiping my cheeks. “Thank you…” I said.

“Can we get out of here first? Everyone’s watching us.” He said as he grabbed my wrist and dragged me outside. I was shocked because no one ever dared to talk to me since then, even transferees don’t.

“Why?” I asked him as he let go of my hand. He started walking so I just followed him.

“Why what?” he looked at me.

“Why are you… this nice to me?” I asked.

“I just gave you a handkerchief and I was already nice?” he answered as he sat on a bench. He tapped the space beside him so I sat beside him.

“Yeah,” I said in a low tone. “Haven’t they told you everything about me?”

“They did,” he simply answered. He looked up to the sky. “But I don’t believe them.”

“Thanks,” I said

“What for?”

“For not believing them,”

“I didn’t do that because of you,”

“I know but still, thanks.” I replied as I handed him back his handkerchief.

“Just give it back to me tomorrow; I think you still need it.” He smiled slightly.

“What’s your name by the way?” I asked

“Doojoon, Yoon Doojoon.” He replied.

“I’m—“

“I already know who you are,” he looked at me. “Kim Eun Hye… the girl with a messy hair… Yoseob’s number one fan girl… and the loser.”

I lowered my gaze, “Loser.”

“I wonder why you still like that shit even though he treats you like that.” He said that make me look at him.  “You’re proving them that you’re a total loser.”

“I really am,”

He heaved a sigh, “Let’s go now… it will start to rain already.” Then he grabbed my wrist again and dragged me again with him.