Chapter Twenty-One: Maybe? [Part Two]

After Jaiden had calmed down, she was finally able to focus on her animation. Meanwhile, [Y/N] had been surfing the web for nearly two hours on the laptop when she came across a certain website. She read through it. It was something about adopting a child and saving a life. You know. Like those cheesy advertisements that use pathos in order to trick you into doing something you don't want to do? Yeah, it was like that, but in an article instead. She sighed, not really taking anything seriously that she was reading. That is, until she came across a certain paragraph, containing an image of an orphaned boy who had been abandoned by his adoptive parents.
Take this poor little boy as an example of what you could be saving. This boy, currently known as Joshua Simmons, was found nearly starved to death inside his adoptive parents's home, alone and neglected. He was spotted lurking around in the alleys, possibly in search for food. "I thought he was just trying to find something. I had no idea it was something so serious," fellow neighbor, Markus Dillinger reported. "I always thought his parents were kinda strange. When they'd come over to visit, they never even mentioned anything about that poor boy. I just thought he was being babysat," another neighbor says. It's unfortunate that he had to go through such a terrible time, but it opens our eyes as a nation that we can help children just like him. Joshua was unable to eat anything for hours, but with enough time, we were able to get him back to his old self. You can help more children like him by adopting a child today.
     Then, the article just kept rambling on and on about how "great" their service was. [Y/N] ignored that part, but she took in every word from that other paragraph. It hit her hard, relating on such a personal level to the boy. Both had been abandoned and orphaned, which really struck a nerve. She didn't realize it at first, but warm tears were pouring down her cheeks each time she blinked. She quickly wiped the tears away with her sleeve and sighed. Looking over at Jaiden, who was still working, she sat up from her slouched position and put the laptop beside her. "Hey, Jaiden?" She asked. Jaiden hummed back in response, not turning to face her. "I know this is kinda sudden, and I already asked something really personal, but....in the future—if we do end up getting married—would you.......would you like the idea of adopting a child?" She asked, nervously wiping her sweaty palms against her legs. Jaiden froze and slowly stopped drawing whatever she was working on. She didn't respond, making the long, uncomfortable silence feel like forever. "Jaiden?" [Y/N] asked after a while. "I-I'm not sure yet....but like I said before: we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds for us." [Y/N] nodded and slouched back down, eventually getting back on the laptop. Jaiden went back to work, leaving [Y/N] to do whatever again. She wasn't completely sure how Jaiden truly felt about adopting a child, but she could've sworn she heard a hint of yes in her voice.