+13.+

+Rafael.+

I reached my arm out and touched Courtney shoulder. She jerked roughly and turned her head to look at me with wide eyes. I furrowed my eyebrows since she had been in deep thought and when I said her name, she hadn’t answered.

She forced a smile but her deep green eyes didn’t sparkle like they usually do so I knew it wasn’t real. She wrapped her arms around my waist and rested her head on my chest, “I’m alright.”

I put my arm around her and kissed the top of her head but when I opened my mouth Aracelia walked into the kitchen, “Hey you two, break it up. You know, back in the old days you couldn’t even be holding hands with a special someone without getting into deep trouble.”

“We were only hugging.” Courtney said. “Miss Saintly.”

Aracelia chuckled before turning to Azariah, “Ezra, it’s practice time. Chop, chop. We have hungry people to feed.”

Azariah giggled before looking at the stove and the door opened. My eyes widen, but I don’t know why since after two weeks I have been watching this unique little boy do so many crazy un-normal things. The pan that had a pork roast inside floated out of the stove and it wobbled a little.

“Steady.” Aracelia said. “Remember, don’t think about it. Just feel it, we know you can do it.” The pan floated over to the counter and was laid perfectly on the counter. Aracelia squealed as she clapped her hands and patted her hand against his head, “Wonderful job, Ezra. You’re so bright.” She walked over to the fridge and opened it before groaning, “Hadrian! I’m gonna kill you! You ate those cupcakes I had bought this morning?”

Hadrian hesitantly walked into the kitchen and shrugged, leaning against the frame of the entrance with his hands in his pockets, “And if I had? You don’t bake.”

Aracelia stood up and closed the fridge door, “Those were for tonight dinner. Why would you eat six cupcakes? You don’t even eat Mortal food.”

“Ah, if you remember I can indeed eat Mortal food. I just don’t need to. And I can say, cupcakes are most delicious when I’m not allowed to have them.” he said.

Azariah looked up at him, “They were for me, for being able to control my Astral projection.”

Hadrian frowned down at Azariah and Aracelia sighed, “It’s not really a good surprise when you know about it, Ezra.” Aracelia hands came up and she let them fall down to her thighs, “Well now you’re gonna have to go to the store and buy some more.”

“Julia’s Bakery have the best buttercream frosting.” Hadrian muttered as he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Well if some idiot hadn’t been greedy we all would have had some.” Aracelia said.

“We’ll go get some.” Courtney said as she stepped back. “Never leave a Lycan hungry and you have a pork roast out. It’s cruel torture.” she sarcastically said. “Ah, Azariah, I see that look. Don’t you dare get in my head you curious little rugrat.”

+

“I’m sure he won’t mind if it was cupcakes or chocolate icing brownies.” I said when we didn’t find any cupcakes that had been made.

“Hadrian has a point though. Grocery store cupcakes aren’t as good as bakery.” she said as she picked up the brownies. She tapped my stomach, “You should eat some more, Skinny.”

I chuckled, “Sorry I’m not big and buff.”

She smiled up at me, “You’re perfect how you are.”

I leaned down and pecked her on the mouth.  She smiled up at me, the sparkle in her green eyes. I took her hand in mine and we made our way towards the cash register. The lady behind the register lazily scanned the dessert. I looked at Courtney who was staring outside the large window of store before she looked back at me and smiled, but no sparkle.