Chapter 1

"RITZ!" Erin yelled. I kept running. There was no way I'd fall for it this time.

"MARITZA I'M SERIOUS!"

"Not falling for it!!!"

I finally reached the Hershey Factory shop and stopped.

"MARITZA I SWEAR-"

I turned around, laughing at the kajiat.

"I know you're jealous I beat you again. Face it, I'm a better crowd weaver!"

"Are you kidding? I let you win."

"An oversized cat like you let someone else win? Please."

"Well-"

I cut her off.

"Shut up and buy me some chocolate!"

We walked into the store and I picked out a plastic 'champaign bottle' full of Hershey kisses. Rin paid for it and we walked out of the store; back into the streets of Manhattan.

"I hope you and your Paranatural little ass enjoy the chocolate."

I laugh. "Oh, we will."

We walked down the street to a new club on West 49th; On the Roxx. I ordered a snowflake daiquiri (a Roxx special) and then Isadora walked in.

"Hey guys, what's going on?" asked the neko.

"Nothing much," Erin said casually.

"As if," I replied, "I just beat Rin in another footrace and she bet one thing at the Hershey shop. So I got this."

I showed Isadora the chocolate before putting it back in my bag. She laughed.

"Erin, you know Paranaturals are faster than kajiats!"

"What? I thought they were just Normalities who can see the second layer!"

"They're also said to be extremely crafty and, in Ritz's case, quick."

"But... Kajiats are stealthy and good at hand-to-hand..."

"Yes, but running down Broadway street isn't stealth or hand-to-hand."

Erin looked defeated.

"Damn advanced neko, knowing more than me..."

"Girls, girls, you're both pretty!" I say, and we laugh as our drinks come.

I'm about three quarters done with my drink when I hear my phone playing 'In Bloom' by Nirvana.

"Hang on, it's dad."

I answered my phone.

"Hello?"

"What are you doing?"

"Oh we're just walking around..."

"Where?"

"Manhattan? We're on West 49th right now..."

"Just stay out of trouble. The last thing I need is for people to talk about my daughter's behavior in the middle of a sale."

"Okay, father..."

"And you know that means no drinking."

"Yes dad, I know."

"And be home by 10."

"I will, dad!"

"Goodbye."

He hung up before I could say anything else.

"Damn jewel salesman always poking into our business," Isadora said.

"I know... But it's not like he knows I'm a Paranatural, and-"