twelve

Jack and I were curled up on his couch. We had finished our drinks a few minutes ago, but we were busy talking and laughing. It was so fun to just relax with him.

"Sledding time," he announced, standing up and zipping his coat. We ventured back out into the cold and proceeded to the local sledding hill, dragging Jack's racing sled behind us. It was located right next to the pond, which was perfect for skating on when frozen over. There were already kids playing on the hill with their parents, and a few kids from school. Jack and I made our way to the of the hill, trying our best not to get run over by kids racing down the hill. We only had one sled, which had not been a problem when we were five and a lot smaller. Now we barely fit. But then again, sleds were usually made for kids and not people our age.

"Hold my waist," Jack instructed me as we sat on the sled. I wrapped my arms around his stomach and put my chin on his shoulder. Just as we were about to push off, a kid ran in front of us.

"Sweetie, be careful!" Their mother called. The kid continued to run, and their parent grabbed their shoulder. "Let the nice couple go down, then you can go," the mother said patiently. She smiled apologetically at us.

"Oh, thank you, but we aren't- a couple," I said. Jack just laughed.

"I'm sorry dear. You two look... I just thought... well you two are adorable either way," she stammered, and dragged her child away.

We went down the hill a couple times, but to tell the truth I found sledding a little boring. I think Jack did too, because we ended up laying at the bottom of the hill and talking more.

"I can't believe that lady thought we were- dating," I giggled. Jack laughed.

"I wonder what it would be like if we actually were," he asked. Maybe it was the vodka from our hot chocolate finally getting to me, but I said,

"I always think a- I always used to think about what that would be like."

"Me too."

"It would be fun, right? We know each other so well and we care about each other and all that. I think I'd be happy. And I'm sure our parents would be happy too," I confessed. I definitely wouldn't have said that if I was sober.

"Me too."

"You make me really happy."

"You make me really happy too," He said. I smiled and turned my head to look at him. He was staring at the sky, his eyes fixated on the passing clouds. "And so does Ellie. And so does Finn," Jack added. Right. Ellie and Finn.

"Yeah. I'm really happy with Finn. And you're really happy with Ellie."

"Yeah."

There was a pause, but it wasn't awkward.

"Ok, movie time," I said, sitting up. Jack sat up too, and lots of snow stuck to his curly hair. I brushed it off.

"You know I hate when you do that, Mad Dog," he teased. Mad Dog was the nickname he had called me when we were very very young, and I hated it more than anything.

"You know I hate when you call me that," I rolled my eyes.

"Hate you."

"I hate you more." We laughed, and returned home with our arms linked.

"What movie should we watch?" I asked, after we returned to Jack's house. He was busy in the kitchen making us more hot chocolate and popcorn.

"Up to you," he called back.

"16 Candles? It's our fave," I asked.

"Sounds good," he confirmed, as he returned holding a bowl of popcorn and two steaming mugs.

"Is there alcohol in this?" I asked him. He nodded.

"Not enough to get us totally hammered, we have school tomorrow," he reassured me. I took a sip. It was just as good as before. Jack put the movie on, and we got comfortable on the couch.

"I'm cold. Is there another blanket?" I asked. Jack was already huddled in a fuzzy blanket that had been left on the couch.

"Nope. Guess we have to share," he said, and offered me half of the blanket. I slipped under and moved closer to Jack. We continued to watch the movie and eat popcorn, talking as little as possible so we could actually watch. A long day of playing in the snow was taking a toll on me, and I began to grow tired. I rested my head on Jack's shoulder and closed my eyes.

"Wake up," I heard someone, Jack, whisper. I felt a warm hand shaking me softly, and I groggily opened my eyes. The room was dark, much darker than it had been when we first sat down.

"What time is it?" I mumbled. I was coming to my senses now. I had been laying on Jack's lap, covered in a blanket.

"It's almost 8. The movie ended a while ago but I didn't want to wake you, you seemed so peaceful."

"Thanks." I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "I should probably go home. We have school tomorrow."

"Yeah."

I gathered my coat, gloves, and scarf scattered around the room.

"Thanks for today. I had a lot of fun," Jack said softly.

"Me too. See you tomorrow Jack."

"See you tomorrow."