forty

We woke up to Jack's mom knocking on the door. It was still dark out, and I glanced at the clock, which read 4:17. I was wrapped in Jack's arms, who was still fast asleep.

"Jack, wake up," I said softly, shaking him slightly. He groaned and rolled over. "We have to leave soon," I whispered.

"Wake me up in half an hour," he mumbled, his face pressed into his pillow. I sighed and got up, shuffling downstairs and grabbing two cups of coffee his dad had made for us. I placed our cups on his nightstand before slipping into his bathroom to get showered and changed. By the time I was finished, Jack had woken up. He was sitting in his bed, silently sipping his coffee and texting on his phone.

"Good morning. Are you excited?" I grinned, sitting next to him and drinking from my cup.

"Yeah. Everyone's already on their way, we're texting now. Chosen just boarded his flight," he yawned.

Twenty minutes and two cups of coffee later, we were sitting in the backseat of Jack's car. His suitcase was stuffed in the trunk, and we had begun our six hour drive. We dropped my sleepover bags off at my house before we left. We didn't know how late we'd be back. The caffeine hadn't quite hit us yet. We were struggling to stay awake. I laid down on Jack's lap as he rested his head on the window.

I blinked awake two hours later. The sun had risen, and we were driving past what seemed to be wheat fields. Jack was awake, typing excitedly on his phone. I could tell how happy he was, and I knew he was texting the camp group chat. I was really glad he was going to see his friends again. I could tell how much he missed them.

"You're awake," he grinned, kissing my forehead before I sat up.

"Did you sleep well?" Jack's mom, who was driving, asked, glancing in the rear view mirror. I nodded.

"Only four more hours!" his dad informed us. Jack put down his phone and grabbed my hand, interlocking our fingers.

"Wanna listen to music?" he offered. I agreed, and he handed me an earbud. I placed my head against the glass, watching the fields blur past. I couldn't bring myself to look at him, I was too sad. I had less than a day left with him. I knew I was being dramatic, but still, it sucked. The next time I was going to be in a car it would be on the way home. Without him. I sighed, and I felt Jack move his hand to my leg.

"Let's play a road trip game. Like we used to, remember?" he suggested lightly. I think he could tell I was upset. I smiled at his effort.

"Of course. I spy?" I proposed.

We spent the next hour playing i spy, then the hour after that talking, then the hour after that playing karaoke with Jack's dad.

"We're almost there! Just an hour to go," his mom told us, interrupting Jack's awful singing. We became quiet after that.

"Who are you most excited to see?" I asked. He thought for a moment.

"I really don't know. I've missed everyone a lot. But not as much as I'm going to miss you," he answered, squeezing my hand.

We finally arrived at camp at around 11. We drove through a small forest, then pulled into a parking spot in a dirt clearing. We stepped out of the car and began unloading Jack's belongings. I looked around, taking it all in. We walked further up the dirt road, where we came to a grass field. There were benches and picnic tables scattered around, and I could see cabins in the distance. There was a huge unlit campfire in the center of everything. Parents and their children could be seen milling around, talking amongst themselves and lugging suitcases around. I opened my mouth to speak, but before I could get any words out, someone ran past me and jumped into Jack's arms.