Chapter Twenty-Five

Instead of sitting around the house all night, wondering if Jules is at the party and worrying that she's with another guy, I decide to go. I haven't heard from her since I left her at Espresso Express. Anger burns inside me, knowing she doesn't care enough to call me and apologize. But I know she won't—she's too stubborn.

As I walk down the stairs, Cam walks through the door. "You going to the party?" I ask, pulling on my jacket and making sure I have my wallet and phone.

"A Valentine's day party? Hell no!" he scoffs before grabbing a Gatorade from the fridge and sprawling out on the couch with the remote in hand.

"A party's a party, man. Besides, you've got nothing better to do," I say while grabbing my keys.

"I've got the whole house to myself, I can do anything I want."

"Like what? Take up the whole damn couch?"

"Exactly!" he laughs. "Hey! Don't drink and drive, okay?" His voice grows concerned and I nod.

"No worries, I'll just park it and walk home."

"Call me and I'll pick you up." He flips through the channels on the TV, looking for something to watch.

"Alright," I concede, even though I won't be calling him. I walk out the front door, watching my feet as I pad down the stairs to my car. When I look up, Jules is leaning against my car, looking very apologetic.

"What do you want?" I grumble, unlocking my car.

"To apologize for being an ass," she says, her bottom lip sticking out in a pretty little pout that could make even the toughest thug fall to his knees.

"Hmmm...that can't be right. The Juliette I know doesn't apologize to anyone." I raise an eyebrow and open my door, but I don't get in yet; I want to see this play out.

She sighs, biting her bottom lip as she straightens herself from the side of my car. "You're not just anyone, Dallas. I care about how you think of me. I don't want to fight anymore. Can we please try to be friends? I mean, really try?" Her big green eyes draw me to her, begging me to get lost in them. And I do. I so do.

"Okay. I'll make a concerted effort." I pull her into a friendly hug and give her a friendly kiss on the cheek, savoring the feel of her smooth skin on my lips before pulling back and releasing her.

"So...can I get a ride?" she asks, climbing into the passenger's seat before I have a chance to answer.

"Sure! Why not? You won't take no for an answer anyway, so why would you even ask, right?" I say, loading my voice with sarcasm. She wrinkles her nose at me and grins.

I park a few blocks away and get out of the car. It's still relatively light outside, but the shadows are getting longer and a warm glow from the setting sun lights up Jules' face as she gets out and walks over to me. Her hair looks like fire, burning up my restraint and tormenting my thoughts as she lights up the world.

I start to reach for her hand, forgetting it's not mine to take, but catch myself before I actually touch her. Pulling my hand back and shoving it in my pocket is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It makes my chest burn and my hands shake. I just want to touch her. I need to touch her. Anywhere. She's completely oblivious to my inner torment but that's nothing new.

It turns out I'm not the one who makes the first move. Slowly, as if it's the most natural thing in the world to do to your friend, she slips her arm around my waist and lays her head on my shoulder. I tense as her scent assaults me but it's the most beautiful assault she could ever give me. Carefully, as if I might startle her and make her realize what she's doing, I slip my arm around her shoulders and pull her into a side hug.