5

Kri groaned, the light hurting her eyes. When they adjusted, she found herself back at main camp, bandaged like a mummy of sorts. Everything hurt. She tried sitting up but failed, only falling back onto the makeshift bedding on the ground. The cries of wounded, dying, and family of those dying filled her ears. The smell of blood and alcohol let her now immediately she was in the medical tent with the other wounded. Her heart ached. She had failed and almost died. Madara had to step in and save her. Kri silently prayed he was alright. As if on cue, he popped into the tent.

"Lord Madara!" shouts and whispers went through the large and packed tent. She closed her eyes and wondered what he'd say. He sure was taking his time coming to berate her for failing. She looked over, watching him visit with several other wounded and dying before finding her in the middle of the wounded section. He sat next to her and clicked his tongue.

"Fighting Tobirama was really stupid of you."

"Tobi-who?" She croaked. 

"The white haired Senju. I'm surprised he didn't kill you." He sounded aggravated. 

"He was too busy telling me I wasn't an Uchiha." She coughed, rolling to her side so she could see him better. He looked... relieved? Imagination playing tricks on her, she was sure of it. He chuckled a bit sarcastically,

"That sounds like something that idiot would do in the middle of a battle." A silence fell between them.

"I'm sorry." She whispered. He took in her apology as if it were the only water in the desert. Since he had known her, she had never once apologized for her actions.

"You couldn't have known, not like we didn't brief the units about him or anything." Great. Sarcasm. She frowned at him. His gaze softened.

"He killed my brother." Her heart sank and her rage grew. If that had been her.. if this man had killed either one of her sisters... Now she understood his anger better. Now she understood the demon of the battlefield. "If he had killed you..." He trailed off, then hardened his face. She spoke for him.

"The clan would have gone on." She simply put the words out, as if she were nothing and closed her eyes. It infuriated him.

"No." His voice was deep and defiant. "No, the clan would have mourned you." 

She opened her eyes and wondered. Would Madara have mourned me? Probably as leaders often do when their warriors fall in battle. The idea made her feel a bit happy. She smiled.

"Well, it seems.." She grunted trying to sit up, "That... huf... huf.. phew. That they won't be mourning me this time." He smiled at her, the real smile this time,

"No, Little Bear, they won't."

----------

Fall turned to winter quickly, which was not Kri's strong suit. Madara found out the hard way how the cold slowed her down tremendously. Her healing wounds also probably had something to do with it, since she refused to stay in the main camp any longer. He grunted in frustration. He couldn't just pluck her from the forward unit, no matter how injured or slow she was currently, it would damage the morale of the men up there and they were already low on everything. To them, they regarded her as an extension of Madara's leadership and they weren't wrong. Her voice found synchronization with Madara's orders and wishes, often without him having to say a word. An understanding between them, a connection, and a deep respect had blossomed. Kri did the best she could in his absence and was a decent leader, probably better than most of his male leaders, he mused to himself. 

He had to do something, so he sent out grand rumors of the Bear of the Uchiha, playing up her power and role. He noted when these rumors had reached the Leaf with success. That should slow down the battle a bit in the northern front. Tobirama would be hesitant to take on an new opponent he knew nothing about. Madara rolled the map up and tucked it away in his armor, giving orders and making his way through the western outpost. The plan was in motion to draw the Leaf out, surround them, and obliterate a section of their force while the Northern force infiltrated the village to take out the rest of the forces. This could work, he smirked to himself, watching all the bricks line up perfectly.