6: Hate

Hi everyone, I have a few things to announce. First of all, this story will contain one use of the N and R slurs, and I would just like to say I do not mean to offend any groups when I do this. Secondly, It has come to my attention The Opportunity Rover has died, and although the word Martian is used negatively in this chapter, I'm sure Milo and the rest of the stlrakl characters would understand how much this little robot has helped us over the years. Rest in peace, Oppy.   

Three weeks later, when everyone's immunotherapy was finally over, and they could safely live on Earth, Chloe moved back into her old apartment, Milo's family now resided down the hall, where they could easily ask her for assistance with things, and Alex had moved downstairs. This made things convenient for all of them, as Alex, Kazutlru, and Milo worked the same job, often sharing assignments.

Soon after settling into their new living arrangements, Milo, Chloe, and Alex were invited to discuss stlrakl culture at a museum.

A quick look around the streets nearby showed that Earth had more or less adapted to seeing aliens wandering around. Virtually no one stared, and some stores even sold special clips meant to enable stlrakl to braid or otherwise tie up their tentacles.

The museum curator proved to be a very nice man, who eagerly showed them various objects that had been donated, some of which only Milo could recognize, such as breast bindings used to enable movement while the stlrakl were still very isolated. They had also brought a few objects themselves; preserved fruit Tsunclrek had been given as he left the ship, a dollhouse Chloe had used to teach Alex wood working, and a bracelet Chloe had made to demonstrate how Milo's species put on clothing. Overall it was a successful event, and everyone seemed to be intrigued by the stlrakl's lifestyle.

At the end of the decided two hours at a booth, they were returning everything back to the backroom when Milo ran into a man around his early thirties, spilling the contents of the open bin they were carrying onto the floor.

"I'm terribly sorry, I didn't see you."

"You do realize no one talks like that anymore."

"I do, but I find being overly polite makes beings less threatened by you." Milo said, trying to keep a pleasant demeanor.

"Do you know how stupid that sounds? Man, and I thought Martians looked ridiculous."

Alex grabbed their hand, "buddy, we should go."

Milo nodded and they walked to the backroom, explained the situation to a museum worker, and started walking back to their apartment building.

"Honestly, what a weirdo," Alex joked, trying to lighten the mood, "who comes to a science museum to decide who has the best personal philosophy?"

Milo laughed quickly and politely, then fell silent.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes Chloe, I'm alright, just a bit worn out."

"It's okay if you're not Milo, you're not hurting anyone by telling them."

"Thank you Alex, I appreciate the offer."

When Milo got home, they searched up the definition of 'Martian.' quickly discovering it had become a slur for any otherworldly being. They didn't actually know what a slur was, and assumed it was similar to a swear word, which they had heard Alex whisper on the ship. It turned out to be worse. It was a term you sneered at someone you hated for the worst of reasons. This just confused them, why were swears so awful if humans had created such obscenities as 'retard,' or 'negro.'