Chapter One: Tardy Slips And Business Dinners

Song: ABC
Artist: The Jackson 5

I woke up, my head pounding from my alarm clock, dreading another day of the hell hole I call a school. I reach my right hand to my nightstand and pound my left hand on the alarm, grabbing my Harry-Potter like glasses with my right hand. I then sigh in relief as the irritating noise of my alarm stops.

I unplug my phone from the charger and check the time. 7:24 am. "Ugh." I complain as I step out of bed and place my feet into my pink, fuzzy unicorn slippers. I yawn, walking toward my closet and searching through my wardrobe. I found some ripped light blue jeans and an oversized dark purple t-shirt, I made my way out of my room and down the hall to the bathroom.

After brushing my hair and teeth, I rush myself downstairs and turn the left corner to the kitchen, where my mom is making pancakes at the stove. "Morning, Victoria," my mom greets. "You do know school starts in six minutes, right mija?" She asked, placing two pancakes on a plate, her dark brown hair bounces on her shoulders while she talks. My 7 year old sister Kairi giggles as she plays with her eggs on her plate in her seat.

I snatch 2 pancakes off the plate and jump off my seat to head to the front door where I slip on my black and white checkered vans and grab my dark purple backpack. "Love you, Mom. Bye!" I exclaim, not bothering to answer her previous question. I opened the front door, run outside to my bike lying in the front yard and pick it up. Scrambling onto the seat, I shove one of my pancakes into my mouth.

I quickly push my pedals with my feet and start to head of to school. I don't think I have ever ridden my bike so fast. I can feel the wind blowing through my dark brown hair as I ride to my high school. I feel free; I don't care what's happening around me. If someone were to drive by me speeding, I wouldn't care. I'm alone with my thoughts.

It takes me about ten minutes to ride to school. By then, everyone is inside, either in their class or making out in an empty classroom. I struggle to put my bike in the bike rack and instead I sigh and just drop it on the cement outside of the school's office doors. I run inside, then grab a slip the office ladies had already prepared for me. I'm often late, so they know me and how to handle my tardiness at least once a week. I mumble a "thank you" as I run out of the office.

"Walk, Victoria!" I hear Mrs. Grimier yell to me and I obey, slowing down my pace. I pass the janitors closet and almost gag when I hear moans. I continue walking ignoring the moans as I pick up my pace, just a tiny bit.

It's already February and I'm still not used to hearing those nasty noises! I hear them almost everyday and don't think I'll ever get used to hearing teenagers having sex in school. It's just nasty. They could at least leave school to do that so I don't have to hear there "woo-hoo"-ing everyday.

Turning down a different hallway, I find my locker. I fumble with the combination lock until my locker finally opens and I shove everything inside. Only holding my binder, math books, and a single wooden pencil, I walk across the hall to homeroom.

I open the door and rush to give my yellow tardy slip to Mr. Jorkson. He only glares at me and sighs, so I slowly walk to an empty desk in the back. I frown when I notice everyone giving weird looks, even my sort-of-crush Zach Herron.

Ever since I was little, I thought Zach was the hottest thing ever. I still do kind of. But he's a fuck boy, I don't deal with fuck boys. He has short brunette hair, it was quite messy too. He wears some type of hoodie with a band name like, Metallica and some jeans, or sometimes he just wears hockey jerseys with shorts.

I got my things situated on my desk and look at the SMART Board to see what we were talking about. "Answers, anyone?" Mr. Jorkson points his pen at the crowd of students in front of his desk and waves it around. After about 8 seconds of silence from everyone in the room, I hear a shuffle behind me. "Yes, Mr. Herron?" Mr. Jorkson sets his pen down on a mathematics book on top of his desk.

I take a look behind me and basically swoon at the sight of Zach. "Um...23%?" He answers.

Almost completely ignoring Zach, out of the corner of my eyes, I see Mr. J stand up and head to the board. "Victoria?"

I gaze to the left at Mr. Jorkson who is looking directly at me.

The question read: What is 1/4 of 100 converted into a decimal?

100 divided by 4 is 25...convert 25 into a decimal! Damn we learned this is in, like, 6th grade. Why are we doing this? It's way too easy, I'm just surprised Zach got it wrong.

"(25.)." I say confidently.

"Correct!" He celebrates, picking up a blue marker and writing (25.) on the board, then circling it.

"Mr. Herron, work on your elementary skills sometime, will ya?" Many snickers filled the room as I look back at Zach, who is now slumped back into his seat with his hood from his hoodie on his head, glaring at me.

What did I do? Mr. Jorkson called on me, so I said the correct answer!

"Will do, Mr. Jerkson." Zach salutes with a smirk plastered on his full, pink lips.

The classroom drowns with laughter as Mr. Jorkson rolls his eyes and turns back to his desk.

. . .

I ride my blue bike up my driveway, relieved that school was finally over for the week. I don't think I could bare having to hear another teachers' voice. I'm pretty smart and all, but school just sucks. No matter how smart I am, it's still going to suck.

After setting my bike on the porch, I notice an unfamiliar car near the road. The car was a Tesla. It was black with gray rims. It could most likely fit about 5 people by just looking at the size.

I shrug it off and twist the door knob of my front door. As I step inside I hear my mom laughing in the kitchen.

"Mom?" I call, taking off my Vans and placing my backpack on the hook next to the door.

As I walk left towards the kitchen I see my mom turning the corner and smiling. "Vi! Guess who's here!" She greets, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the kitchen. "Victoria! Oh how I missed you!" A man in about his late 30's smiles at me and claps his hands together while sitting at my dinning room table. Next to the man was a woman, then to the left was a little girl, then to her left was a little boy, then next to him was...Zach?!

The thoughts running through my head we're all questions.

Why is Zach here?

How did he get here?

Is this his family?

And how does this man know me?!

I fake smile, trying to hide my panic. "I'm sorry, but how do I know you?" I shove my hands into my pockets of my jeans and awkwardly laugh. "Oh, sorry. I'm your mothers business partner, Josh. I used to babysit you when you were about 5 or 6."

Zach and I won't stop staring at each other. I probably look really freaked out, but I guess I am anyway.

"I'm Reese!" I turn my head to the other side of the table to see the little girl smiling wide. "My brother knows you from school! He said your mean and that you are nas-ty,"

My eyes go wide as she goes on with her comment. Who would have thought that I was nasty? Zach is the one fucking girls left to right!

"But you don't look nasty!" The woman slaps her arm lightly and whispers something into her ear, making Reese's giddy expression quickly turn into a frown.

"You single?" Zach leans back into the wooden chair and smirks.

This is going to be a long dinner.