Chapter Five: The "F" Word

Song: The Man
Artist: The Killers
"I got news for you baby, you're looking at the man."

I dipped my plastic spoon into my bowl of Fruity Pebbles and looked up at Zach. "So..." I started, "Do you usually sing?"

It was a really random question, but the silence between us was awkward and I wanted to end it.

All he did was shrug.

I looked back down and continued eating my cereal. It's his choice of he doesn't want to talk, but my curiosity is killing me.

What the hell is wrong with him?!

"Look, I'm sorry," I hear.

So, he speaks.

"About..." I push.

"Micheal... and the rest of the guys. They were dumb. I talked to them. They apologised," he continued. "I don't like the way they talked to you." With each word he said his voice raised. I'm not comfortable anymore...

"They treated you like trash. They talked to you like you're a slut!" he yelled.

"Zach! Calm down..." I said. He's scaring the shit out of me.

He rested his head on the table. "I guess they just expect that every girl I've known, I've also fucked. I mean, I can't blame them for thinking that," he said quietly. It almost sounds like he isn't even talking to me. He's just saying everything on his mind.

"Zach," I sighed. He lifted his head off the table and looked at me. God, he's hot as fuck. "Don't say that. It's not true."

Well...

"Yes, it is!" He raised his voice once again, this time slamming his fist on the table. "You know it, I know it. The whole world knows it, for God's sake!"

I jumped at the sudden noise. I picked up my things and made my way to Reese's room. I already knew Zach was looking at me without having to turn.

"Kairi, let's go home."

She pokes her head out of the door, frowning. "Can't we stay just a little longer?" she asks, keeping her frown.

I felt guilty for ending Kairi's playdate with Reese, but I didn't want to be around Zach while he was angry.

I shouldn't want to be around Zach at all.

"You know what, we can stay a little longer, but I'm gonna hang out with you guys, alright?"

Kairi nodded her head and disappeared from the doorway. I followed close behind her, not before looking back to find Zach gone.

I sit on the floor after entering the room. Reese's bedroom has pink walls with blue carpeting. She has a tall loft bed and her room is basically filled with all toys.

"Hey, Victoria. Wanna play house with us?" Reese asks me.

I shake my head and look at her. "I think I'll just watch you guys," I respond.