School Day

Len's POV

It has been three weeks since I have seen my sister. Days in the great house were quieter and less tense. There would be times when my sister would lash out on mummy and daddy as well. But they never did stop her. They always say, "It is just a phase dear." With a forced smile on their faces. Plus, ever since she was gone, I have not been so scared to walk near her room, which is now empty. I have less bruises and burn marks from smacks across the face. 

I think about this while eating a ham sandwich outside the back porch. Oliver sitting on my lap as always with the same lifeless face. Every day I talk to him, I tell him about what happens in school. When I get an A+ on tests, and when I get picked on. I have been growing on Oliver more and more that I am with him. I finish my sandwich and head back inside. I see my mum and dad sitting on the couch looking quite worried for my sister. They have been like this ever since she disappeared. 

"Mummy, can I bring Oliver to school? I feel that he gets lonely when I leave him for the day." I say as I look at my Mother snap out of her worried daze to pay attention to what I said. "Honey, you would get distracted at school if you were to bring him." She said looking at me quite sternly. "But mo-" "Honey, please, let your father and I figure out another way to find your sister." She said as she cut me off. I did not argue because I did not like making my family angry. Especially Rin. I go to my room to pack up my things for school.

As I pack my things for school, I pick up Oliver and look into his glossy bright yellow eyes. I look back at my back pack and decided I should bring him with me to school by sneaking him in. I gently slide him into the bag and close it up. I go down stairs and walk to school.

--

Sitting in class was always a drag to me. I knew everything I needed to know already due to my parents preparing me ahead of time. I rest my head on my hand and try to look like I am paying attention to the lesson. My mind starts to trail off to more interesting matters. I start to think of wondrous stories of Oliver and I. Except he is a real boy. I always wonder how much fun it would be if he could walk and talk like me. We could play Frisbee, and read stories to each other. He could tell me what it was like living in a toy store before he knew me. 

I decided I snap out of my day dreaming and take a look and see Oliver in my bag. I open up the bag and see that...he is not there. I start to panic. Did I drop him on my way to school? Did a kid take it? What am I going to do?! I sit in my seat trying not to walk out of the classroom to check the school. But I sat obediently. I get to lunch and I eat what my mom made for me last minute.

 I decide to open the bag to get out a book to take my mind off of Oliver being gone, but I see Oliver sitting in my bag, just like how I left him when I put him there. My face lit up and I pulled him out of the bag, not giving a care in the world if I got picked on for bringing a doll to school. I sit him on my lap while I ate happily. Then a thought came in my head. How did he disappear and appear back in my bag? Is he alive? Can he walk and talk like a real boy? I look down at Oliver on my lap and start thinking about it. 

--

I keep looking at Oliver suspiciously still thinking about what happened today at school. Then I finally broke the silence. "Ollie, are you alive? Are you a real boy?" Oliver didn't say anything back. But something told me that maybe he would. It was worth a try. I snuggle up in the soft sheets of my bed and tuck Oliver in with me. The warm company of Oliver made me slowly fall asleep. Without a care if Oliver could be real or just a doll, if my parents were still worried about my sister gone in the blue, and that my foul sister is gone in general.