chapter 3 - awkward dinners

TJ’s POV

TJ had had the best day. He had spent the day with his parents and his sister. But now in the night time, sleeping in his old room where so much stuff had happened, he couldn't seem to fall asleep. He tossed and turned but nothing worked out so he decided to go out for a walk. He left without a destination but soon enough found himself through a familiar path.

15 years ago (they were 13)

“Is that swing taken?” TJ had been so nervous to approach Cyrus that day, but his chance to talk to him was finally here so he nedded to take it.

“How’d you know I’d be here?”

“I’ve been stopping by, seeing if I could catch you without your bodyguards”

“I’m not supposed to hang out with you” TJ knew he had messed up but technically it wasn’t his fault. “I should go”

“No. Stay, I’ll go. Can I at least say I’m sorry first?”  The only response he gets is a shrug of shoulders, he takes that as a yes. “I didn’t know Reed was going to bring a gun” He starts saying “I wouldn’t have gone and I definetly wouldn’t have brought you. Now you hate me.” He didn’t want to lose the best friend he has ever had. “Classic TJ, anything good I got to ruin it”

Cyrus doesn’t say anything so he starts walking away.

“TJ” Cyrus calls out. TJ turns to look at him. “You said you were going to apoligozige” What had he just done?

“I just did”

“Actually you didn’t”

“Yes I did, I said I wa- huh, you’re right. Sorry for not saying sorry”

“So, you’ve apologized for not apologizing, but you still haven’t apologized” couldn’t he let this go?

“You can be a little annoying you know that?” TJ says stepping forward, standing close to Cyrus.

“Well, you can be oblivious” Cyrus fires back. And now they were standing even close together. face to face.

“Well, you can be very judgy”

“Well, you can be intimidating” They were standing way to close now and TJ felt the urge to kiss Cyrus. He didn’t know why, lately he had been feeling different about his friend but had never been like this. Instead of acting on his urge he says:

“You know what else you are?”

“What?”

“The only person I can talk to like this.” Cyrus offers him a beautiful smile. “Okay if I stay?”

Once he reaches the playground he sees someone already sitting on one swing. Once he gets closer he sees the person he’s been wanting to see for a while.

“Hey underdog” Is all he manages to say.

Cyrus doesn’t look at him but says: