Silver Tongue

"Wake up, little dove." A gentle voice pokes at my consciousness.

I groan, feeling needles in my brain and tremors in my legs. I open my eyes to meet a sea of sunlit amber. I blink slowly. No, that's not right. My eyes focus and I realizes I'm staring into a set of kaleidoscope eyes, shifting colours like blooming plants. The owner of such captivating eyes leans over me, curls of black hair creating a curtain around the two of us.

"Who are you?" Oh gods, is that my voice? I wince at the gravel rattling in my words

The girl in front of me winces too, either with concern or aversion. "That's not of importance. How are you feeling?" Ah, so it's concern.

I chuckle, "Even worse than I sound."

The girl nods in sympathy, and the flowers woven into her hair dance with the movement. The blooms are like a sunset in her dark hair, and they entrance me. My brows furrow as something taps at the edges of my memory, like I should know this girl.

The girl leans over me, a glass goblet of nectar in her hands. "Open up, little dove."

I start to obey, but pause, shaking my head. "If I eat or drink anything from the Underworld, I'll be trapped here."

The girl looks hurt, but her words remain honeyed. "I'd never trick you into staying here. I know too well how awful that feels." Her expression flashes bitter for a second, once again scratching at my memory. "It's from your own supply. I knew, with you being a demigod, you'd carry nectar and ambrosia with you."

I flounder, "You went through my stuff?" My mind instantly goes to the war plans I have stashed away.

The girl bristles, offended. "I was trying to save you! Need I remind you that you appeared on my side of the Styx, pure white from head to foot and without a breath in your lungs? You nearly slipped through my fingers!" She pauses for emphasis, "And, you just accused me of trying to trap you here."

My mind reels with the new information, but stupidly latches on to one thing. My mouth is moving before my brain can process a genuine response. "Wait, what about me is so awful that having me here would be such a terrible thing?"

The girl practically snarls, "I never said that you arrogant little demigod, but I'm starting to form an answer the more you speak." She stands abruptly, black dress billowing around her as she puts on a haughty mask of indifference, "By the way, you should really keep your bag more organized, it's an absolute mess."

She leaves the room with a flourish, smoke trail words wrapping around my mind that leave me partially stunned and partially annoyed.

It's only as the girl storms away, bare feet leaving wildgrass and blossoms in their wake, that my memory serves its purpose.

The beautiful girl I've enraged is a goddess.

Persephone.

......