Too Close

Persephone's POV//

I stand at the head of the table, hand outstretched as the noise from the door reverberates through the room, sending icy fingers down my spine.

I curl my hand towards my mouth, choking back a sob. Why had I said all that? I hadn't intended to hurt Haliae, not really.

Something, not quite fury, not quite sadness, sweeps through me and I fling my arm out, sending out a force that knocks everything off the table. I can hear chairs clattering around me as I sink to the ground.

"Truly darling, that was quite a show"

My head whips up when I hear his cold voice. "Hades."

The wispy form of my husband floats before me, amused and mocking. "I finally send you a female, and this is how you treat her?"

My cheeks heat up at the accusation, "What are you trying to say?"

Hades raises an eyebrow, smirking. "Just that you're very bad at making friends."

I open my mouth, cheeks red, "I... Of course. I'm very out of practice."

Hades roles his eyes as I turn my face away. "Yes, well I don't need you to make friends with her. I need to keep her down there." His voice turns hard, "So that means you need to try harder, my dear."

I would have given him a snarky reply if his form hadn't dissolved into nothing. So that was my role in this war. Distract the beautiful demigod. I almost hate how appealing the idea sounds.

......

Haliae's POV//

I spend as much of the next two weeks ignoring Persephone as I can, which is immensely boring. For all its hype, the Underworld doesn't have much to offer in the activities department.

After the ninth day of mind-numbing boredom, I try exploring again. It seems that the right doors will lead to some interesting rooms, like a pitch black space where the only sounds are the rattling of chains and broken moans. I close that particular door as fast as possible.

Many more traumatizing rooms later, I come across a room that holds a magnificent library. There are books from floor to ceiling, surrounded by columns of goldwork and statues.

I walk up to the nearest wall, running my fingers across the spines, shocked by the mere amount of books

I walk up to the nearest wall, running my fingers across the spines, shocked by the mere amount of books. I smile to myself. This could help pass the time until I can get out of here.

I wander through the maze of a library, squinting to see in the dim light. There is an order to the books, but I can't find out what it is. I'm looking for the war strategy books when I stumble upon a completely different section.

The shelves surrounding me hold romance books, but none like I've ever seen. I slowly tug one out of the wall, sucking in a breath at the image on the front.