Chapter 1 , "A pact with the devil"

Candice White was a beautiful orphan living in a orphanage. She was 18 years old; she had finished high school. She was helping out at the orphanage waiting for responses from colleges and from scholarships demand she had done. With all the donations the orphanage got, they were willing to sacrifice themselves and give Candy the money for her tuition, but Candy refused. The nuns needed the money more than her. She was going to find a job and save up to pay for her tuition. So Miss Pony and Sister Maria, the responsible for the Pony Home, allowed her to stay at the orphanage, rent free so she could save up her money. So she got a job at the Reagan Mansion, one of the richest families in town. But she bumped into a problem there; their son Neil fell in love with her and Candy wouldn't hear it. He was pursuing Candy but she wouldn't hear it. The salary was good and she needed it to pay for her school.

She was taking a break, when Neil showed up.

- Candy, darling, he said you're so beautiful!

- I'm taking a break Master Neil, said Candy.

- Well you wouldn't have to work if you accept my proposal...

- In your dreams

- I can pay for your tuition if you give me what I'm asking from you

- I'm not going to sell myself!

- We'll see about that!

- Master Neil, please. I don't want any trouble... I just want to work save money to pay for my school

- You are too beautiful to be suffering like that... I can take care of you

- I can take care of myself, said Candy leaving to go back inside the house

Neil was not going to abandon so easily. He managed to corner Candy in a room and tried to kiss her by force. She fought him off and she kicked him between his legs. Neil screamed and Candy packed her stuff and she left running. She got to the Pony Home with a sad face.

- What's wrong Candy? said Sister Maria.

- Well I told you about Neil Reagan?

- Yes, what did he do?

- He tried to kiss me and I kicked him...

- Oh Candy baby, I'm so sorry.

- I don't understand why he can't take "no" for an answer...

- You're going to learn it sooner or later; the world can be a very cruel place.

Sister Maria hugged Candy. When she went to bed, Candy was thinking about what had happened to her. She had always been happy in her orphanage, then her best friend Annie left ; she got adopted by a family who refused to reveal that that she came from an orphanage and she severed all the ties with the Pony Home. She had Tom, who was also adopted, but who will come to see her every week ends. They like making out from time to time, but it was nothing serious. Tom wanted her to be by his side as a farmer's wife, but Candy wanted to go to Chicago and study to become a nurse... so they had different dreams... he was her big brother and he protected her as much as he could. Candy finally fell asleep having nightmares about the disgusting kiss Neil Reagan forced on her. She had a very bad night. The next morning, she didn't go to work and she called to tell them she was quitting her job. So she started looking for another job.

Neil Reagan learned that Candy was not going to come back to work and he got very angry. So he took drastic measures.

One morning Candy got the mail when she was helping out at the administration at the orphanage, while she looked for work. She got a letter telling them to move because the Pony Home was schedule for demolition in a very near future, by the owner of the land.