Chapter 6 , "The ice is melting..."

- I beg your pardon? Said Candy flabbergasted.

- Will you be my wife?

- Have you gone mad?

- No...

- You're serious?

- I've never been more serious in my life.

- You want to marry me? But... why?

- I want you to live with me...and I know that you're not the kind of girl who would live with a man without being married... am I right?

Candy looked at him; he was so caring and considerate.

- Yes... , said Candy moved.

- So...

- But marry me? Terrence...

- Candy..., let me tell you this; I want you, I don't know how we're going to solve your problem, it could take forever, but one thing is sure, I want to be there when it happens, I want to be the one who makes it happen and I want to be the one who's going to show you that love is a wonderful thing... that you and I, belong together and that we're going to connect on all levels...

- What if it takes years?

- It's not going to take years, but I will still be there ...

- You're willing to be chaste, waiting for me...?

- It's going to be hard, I admit it... I'm going to respect my marriage vows...

- This is crazy! The press...

- A marriage is between a man and a woman... we can keep it to ourselves if you don't feel comfortable telling people...

- Yes, but it's kind of weird, that you want to marry so we wouldn't live in sin and then let the others believe that we're doing so...

- Your conscience is going to be clear... who cares about the others? My friends can come to visit, they know I'm interested in you... and I trust them they won't leak anything to the press...

- "The Reagan widow traps superstar Terrence Grandchester into marrying her..."

- We'll cross that bridge went we get there...

- This is nuts!

- You don't have to answer me right away... I'll come back in two weeks. If you agree, come to my apartment in exactly 2 weeks for the ceremony...

- What?

- You heard me... if you don't show up...I'll take it that you chose to die...

- Die?

- Yes, I'm offering you a chance to live, you have the choice between living or dying alone wrapped up in your ivory tower...the ball is in your court Candy...

Candy remained silent. That man was absolutely crazy!

- Why me? She finally asked.

- Because you're my soul mate and I intend to show it to you... you want to come and have dinner with me?

- Where?

- At my mother's...

- Your mother's? Eleonor Baker's?