Chapter One: Eighteen

Brendon

Some felt that turning 18 wasn't a big deal. Another year older, a birthday like any other birthday. A day like any other day. My dad was like this, a very calm and "take things as they come" type of guy.

 However, my mom didn't see things the same way.

"18, my baby, 18!" my mom had cried as she hugged me tightly first thing in the morning. I laughed and hugged her. "You're a man now," she gushed through tears.

"Thanks, mom, I know."

"No, you don't! I raised you, and now, look at you! You're perfect. My perfect boy, going off to college to be a chemist. My beautiful son, my first and only." I laughed as she rambled on and on. She finally released me, and I walked passed her towards my dad.

He placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled slightly. His eyes were dark like charcoal but held an undeniable glimmer of pride.

"Be a good man, alright?" was all he said. It was more than I expected, honestly.

"Always will," I reassured him. I saw a proud smile cross his face, and he nodded.

"Good."

"I should start getting ready, or I'll miss the bus," I told my parents, turning to look at my mom.

"What time does your bus come?" she asked.

"6:30," I said. She glanced at her phone.

"Not to make you flip out on your birthday, but...it's 6:45."

"What?" I practically shrieked, running out of the kitchen and down into the basement, also called my room. I looked at my phone, which was still connected to the charger, and gasped. 6:46 A.M.

"Don't worry, you won't be late." I turned around and sighed as my mom and dad were both watching me by the bottom of the stairs.

"Doesn't dad have to take the car to work in a few minutes?" I asked. "I don't want to make him late or anything." My mom smiled widely, and my dad had an almost smirk on his face. I felt a little nervous. "What?" I knew there was no way they changed every clock in the house...right?

"Yeah, he has to take his to work in a few minutes," my mom said as my dad held up a car key with a little tag attached. My eyes widened. Oh shit, they definitely did not change the clocks.

"That's why you're driving yourself," he said.

"You're lying," I said skeptically, yet the smile that came across my face was uncontrollable. My heart rate quickened as I ran passed my parents, up the basement stairs, into the living room, and looked out of the window that faced our front yard. A small, red car sat in front of our house. I turned back to look at my parents, now standing behind me.

"Can we stop all this running? I'm way too old for this," my mom complained. I couldn't help but laugh.

"You actually got me a car?"

"I told you, you're growing up, Bren." I smiled and hugged my mom and grabbed the keys from my dad.

"Besides, what kind of man doesn't have a car?" My dad asked. I laughed.

"Thank you, guys."

"You're welcome," my dad responded while my mom looked on the verge of tears once again. "Now, go get dressed, and you better drive safely. No girls in the car."

"Yeah, of course," I mumbled. I'm sure that "no girls" rule was debatable, but this was most definitely not the time. I quickly went back into my room and got dressed in my plain, old clothes. Some people went all out on their birthdays, but I chose not to. I combed my hair and fixed myself up before going out to my car.