Chapter Two: Suspension

Elijah

"This again, Mr.Down?" Mr.Z asked, sitting back in the cheap, black desk chair he always sat in. I shrugged and sat on his desk. The chair squeaked as he got comfortable in it.

"Brendon's my best friend, and it's his birthday," I explained. "I was being nice!" Not really, I wasn't naive enough to believe that. I did it for me, not Brendon. I knew such a stunt would win me his attention. Mr.Z scoffed. For a man supposed to be strict and mean, he had a good sense of humor and was pretty decent. However, he was also beyond sick of me.

"Well, five days," he concluded. I jumped off the desk, eyes wide. There was a loud pat as my feet smacked the ground, and I stared at him.

"What? Five days! That's so unfair! I didn't even get the chance to finish my message!" Mr.Z looked unamused by my protesting. In fact, he looked extra disappointed. His hands rubbed his temples, and the light reflected off of his shiny, brown head as he looked down. 

"Eli, do you know how often you get trouble? I won't sugar coat it because I know you can handle it, but most of the teachers hate you. They write you up for walking in two minutes late even if you have a pass."

"True," I mused. He sighed. Obviously, I knew all of this. I was the one going through it, after all.

"My point is, you don't think all of this is a bit much?" I pondered it jokingly. I stroked my chin and look up at the ceiling dramatically. The white lights burned my eyes, but I refused to let that ruin me ruining Doug's condescending attitude.

He let out a final, exasperated sigh of defeat. I knew I'd worn him out for the day, and the official school day hadn't even started yet.

"Nope," I finally said. "I like hanging with you all day." He smiled slightly. "You don't treat me like shit most of the time, so you're cool with me."

"Come on, grab your bag. I'll take you home." I sighed and picked up my book bag off the ground. It weighed heavily on my shoulder as I dragged my feet on the tile floor, my shoes screaming in a high-pitched tone.

"You know, for someone who says I don't have enough friends, you sure get mad at me for appreciating one of the few I do have."

"This is disruption, Elijah, not appreciation."

"This is disruption, Elijah," I mocked, quietly but loud enough for him to hear. He stepped out of his office, holding the thick, wooden door open for me to walk out behind him. My untied shoe laces clicked against the hard floor as I made my way down the hall. Mr.Z had fallen behind me, listening to kids laugh and cheer and tell me "nice." It was only when I saw Brendon standing by his locker that I broke into a smile.

Light shined over him, illuminating his clear skin and dark hair. His brown eyes caught a glimmer of the light, dancing around and giving him a lively spark.

"5 day suspension, just for you," I said, making a finger gun and shooting it at Brendon. I threw in a little wink, and he smirked, begrudgingly.

"You're an idiot," he said in an attempt to be both unimpressed and disappointed. Unfortunately for him, I knew all to well to believe his tone was how he really felt. I smiled and shrugged. I stopped walking in front of Brendon, making a point to look right at him and not to look at the girl who would be charged with my murder if looks could kill.