Fire:

As I came to, the world was burning. The ground, the sky, the air. I don't remember anything... How did we end up on the lip of an active volcano? Wait... we? There are people around me. They're crying and screaming. Why do I care so much? I think... I think I love these people. These are my friends. They're burning. Im burning too. It hurts. I hear myself screaming along with them. Searing pain stretches its fingers across my flesh and I see the lava lapping greedily at my skin and over my friends. I need to get them out. They shouldn't be here. In the back of my head I know I belong here, but they shouldn't be suffering. I feel my limbs struggling to move as I heave myself up and make my way to the people crying on the ground. Down the hill means safety, I know that much. I have to take them down the hill. The first girl I reach stretches her arms up to me, tears streaming down her beautiful face and into her matted black hair. I hoist her up onto my back and stumble down the hill ungracefully. I reach the point I know is safe and set her down gently. I can see the thank you in her eyes and this alone assures me I am doing the right thing. I pull myself back up the hill, ignoring the branding pain inching its way through my body as though it was my own blood that was burning. The next person, a boy this time with long, wild hair and shattered glasses, tries to push me away. Why would he do that? I force him up and off the ground. He shouldn't have to feel the pain. None of them should. I repeat the process of bringing him down the hill and making my way back up, though each of my steps is becoming more and more painful. The next friend I need to save is a girl, already unconscious with her long blond hair burning away. The steps are beginning to become automatic, the pain taking over the thoughts in my brain. I set her in the "safe zone" and hurry back up the hill as fast as the burning lets me. My muscles are starting to give up on me, but I still have so many people to go. I need to push myself. They cannot suffer anymore. A dark haired boy with glasses and a beautiful smile. A brunette whos bright laugh echoes through my mind. Another girl with short brown hair whose advice I remember cherishing. I wade through the darkness closing in on me and methodically bring my loved ones to safety. It's all over now... They're all okay... My thoughts are a whirlwind in my head and I can't seem to control my own legs. They trudge their way back up the side of the volcano. Why am I going back? It hurts so bad... But, I'm supposed to be here... I stand on the brink of the precipice, staring into the roiling lava. Bubbles burst like flaming flowers blooming to bring light through the choking smoke.

It's all so pretty...

It hurts so bad...

I lean forward, the ground crumbling beneath me.

Maybe I should just...

Fall.