Chapter 2

Your boys are coming, please bear with me for plot reasons! >.<

I sat near the fire, leaned up against a rock as I watched the flames dance around, munching on the wood slowly. It was around midnight, the cloudless sky filled with stars and the waning moon. I was stationed to keep watch while Jitsu and Naga slept a while longer.

I was supposed to wake Jitsu up an hour ago, but he looked so peaceful I didn't want to disturb him. His soft brown hair was tucked under his sleeping bag, and his green eyes were closed in a relaxed sleep. He was like a cat, you don't want to disturb it in case it begins to dislike you, planning out your demise as it's nocturnal eyes watch you while you sleep.

We had been traveling at least a day. We were sent close to the border with the Leaf Village and we seemed to make good progress so far. Naga had explained our enemy to us carefully.

Our target was a rogue ninja named Omashu, a devious man with powerful wood style jutsu. He must be a strong opponent if they needed to send two jonin and a retired Anbu. Yes, Naga was in the Anbu Black Ops. I would not like to fight him.

I flinched suddenly as Jitsu arose from his sleeping bag, catching me off guard for a moment.

"You didn't wake me?" He said quietly, stretching before he stood up, walking over to sit next to me.

"Sorry, I didn't want to wake you. I'm not that tired anyway." I replied, glancing over to make sure Naga was still asleep. Jitsu smiled slightly, resting his arms over his knees.

"You'll be tired tomorrow, maybe you should get some rest." He coaxed as he motioned a hand towards my sleeping bag on the other side of the fire pit. I frowned. Why sleep when I'm too excited? I played with a kunai in my hands, delicately flipping it from hand to hand and twisting it between my fingers.

"Nah, I'll be fine."

Silence passed between us for a long moment. Both of us knew nothing about each other besides our first names, so we didn't really know how to strike up a conversation.

The male gender tended to make me uncomfortable, the reasons being that I have no interest in courtship with anyone. I don't feel that way around Jitsu, however.

"So... Done anything, uh... Cool lately?" Jitsu asked sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. His bad attempt at an ice breaker made me smile.

"I started to make my own puppets-- well one anyway." I patted the scroll at my hip. "What about you?"

"Only thing interesting is that I became a dad but... I've been practicing my jutsu, maybe we could fight again to test our skills." He said enthusiastically. I nodded in agreement.

"Maybe when we get back to the village, hmm? If all goes well on the mission, anyway." I said, standing up to stretch.

"Sure! But you gotta sleep now otherwise I'm calling it off." He smiled up at me. I looked down at him, almost shocked. He planned that all along, striking up a conversation just to send me to bed. I huffed a sigh, obeying him; walking over to the other side of the fire and slipping into my sleeping bag.

"You'll make a good dad, thats for sure." I scoffed sarcastically. I snuggled into the warmth of my makeshift bed, holding a kunai knife between my fingers in case we met trouble while I was asleep.

I couldn't help but think about Jitsu starting a family with his wife. I've never been one to think about things like family. A lone wolf life suited me fine until now. Would I ever actually have a family in the future? Does anyone even like me that way?