(2)The Unquiet Dead

"Rose!" I shout running out to see her being taken into a hearse.

"You're not escaping me, sir. Miss. What do you know about that hobgoblin, hmm? Projection on glass, I suppose. Who put you up to it?"

The Doctor looked at the man for a moment especially when he called me 'miss' but it must of just been my imagination.

"Yeah, mate. Not now, thanks. Oi, you! Follow that hearse!" I Say as The Doctor and I get into a nearby carriage.

"I can't do that" he comments

"Why not?" I ask.

"I'll tell you why not. I'll give you a very good reason why not. Because this is my coach." He says angrily.

"Well, get in, then. Move!" The Doctor says pulling him in.

The driver cracks the whip and the carriage moves down the street.

"Come on, you're losing them." I moan agitated.

"Everything in order, Mister Dickens?" The driver asks.

"No! It is not!"

Me and the Doctor look at each other for a moment in awe. "What did he say?" I ask.

"Let me say this first. I'm not without a sense of humour." He says.

"Dickens?" The Doctor asks.

"Yes."

"Charles Dickens?" He asks again.

"Yes."

"The Charles Dickens?" I ask with a smile.

"Should I remove the gentleman and his Lady sir?" The driver asks again.

"Charles Dickens? You're brilliant, you are. Completely one hundred percent brilliant. We've read them all. Great Expectations, Oliver Twist and what's the other one, the one with the ghost?" The Doctor says

"A Christmas Carol?" I ask trying to jog his memory.

"No, no, no, the one with the trains. The Signal Man, that's it. Terrifying! The best short story ever written. You're a genius." He says.

"You want me to get rid of them, sir?"

"Er, no, I think they can stay." Dickens says.

"Honestly, Charles. Can I call you Charles? I'm- I mean we are such Big fans." I Say.

"A what? A big what?"

"Fans. Number one fans, that's us." The doctors smiles.

"How exactly are you a both fan? In what way do you resemble a means of keeping oneself cool?" He asks.

"No, it means fanatic, devoted to. Mind you, I've got to say, that American bit in Martin Chuzzlewit, what's that about? Was that just padding or what? I mean, it's rubbish, that bit." I comment.

"I thought you said you were my fan." Dickens says.

"Ah, well, if you can't take criticism. Go on, do the death of Little Nell, it cracks me up. No, sorry, forget about that. Come on, faster!" The Doctor says.

"Who exactly is in that hearse?"

"Our friend. She's only nineteen. It's my fault. She's in our care, and now she's in danger." I Say.

"Why are we wasting my time talking about dry old books? This is much more important. Driver, be swift! The chase is on!" Dickens says and me and the Doctor smile.

"Yes, sir!"

"Attaboy, Charlie." The Doctor laughs.

"Nobody calls me Charlie."

"The ladies do." I add.

"How do you know that?" He asks.

"I told you, we're your number one-"

"Number one fans."

~~
We step out of the hearse and walk to the front door and knock.

"I'm sorry, sir. We're closed." A young welsh lady says (a/n ahhhhh torchwoooood)

"Nonsense. Since when did an Undertaker keep office hours? The dead don't die on schedule. I demand to see your master." Dickens speaks

"He's not in, sir." She says.

"Don't lie to me, child. Summon him at once."

"I'm awfully sorry, Mister Dickens, but the master's indisposed." Suddenly a gas lamp flares.

"Having trouble with your gas?" I ask smirking.

"What the Shakespeare is going on?" Dickens asks.

The Doctor and I go past the woman and towards the flaring gas lamp.

"You're not allowed inside, sir, Miss"

"There's something inside the walls." The Doctor says.

"The gas pipes. Something's living inside the gas." I say.

"Open the door!" Rose yells making me and the Doctor look at each other.

"That's her." I Say rushing further into the house.

"Please, please, let me out!"

The Doctor and I run down the corridor and into Sneed.

"How dare you." And then to Dickens. "This is my house!" Sneed says.

"Shut up." Dickens says.

Sneed then speaks to Gwyneth "I told you."

"Let me out! Somebody open the door! Open the door!" Rose screams and the Doctor and I kick down the door.

"I think this is my dance." I Say pulling rose of the corse like women.

"It's a prank. It must be. We're under some mesmeric influence." Dickens says.

"No, we're not. The dead are walking. Hi." The Doctor says.

"Hi. Who's your friend?" She says to me.

"Charles Dickens."

"Okay." Rose says.

"My name's Y/n and this is the Doctor. Who are you, then? What do you want?" I announce.

The corse replies with several voices.

"Failing. Open the rift. We're dying. Trapped in this form. Cannot sustain. Help us. Argh!" The gas leaves the body and his mother and returns to the gas lamp. The corpses collapse.