Chapter 33

Night was about to end by the time almost everyone was asleep. Now’s the chance, Amanda thought, raising from the couch where she had been watching videos of the race – Wanting to be able to recall some of what happened by seeing it, but to no avail -  and walked to the bed. She poked Akko’s cheek until the brunette woke up. She quickly put a finger to her lips to stop her from talking and waking everyone up.

After a short discussion with gestures, Akko woke up with a silent grunt and followed Amanda to the other end of the room.

“What?” Akko asked.

“Wanna repeat what we did back on Sídhe?” Amanda asked with a smile. Akko cocked her head, frowning. “I mean when we teleported to the top of the tower.”

“I don’t think the Shiny Rod would be able to teleport all the way back to Sídhe… Wait, could it? Maybe I could have gone to say hi to my family all along and-”

“I mean that we should go to the top of the tallest tower here. That black skyscraper, you know,” she explained.

Akko got the face of someone who finally understood what was being said to them. “Ah. What, do you want to make it a tradition or something?”

“Ehm… Maybe?” Amanda shrugged. “I just wanna see how the city looks from up there.”

“It’s not raining, is it?” Akko looked out.

“No. I’m not that crazy. Come on now, are you in? If not, just give me the key-wand, I can pilot the thing now too,” in fact, now that she thought about it, maybe she should’ve just taken the wand and returned it when she came back, not that Akko would have noticed. But, well, the mechanics of how the Shiny Rod worked were not clear to anyone. As far as Amanda knew, she may have only been allowed to pilot back then because Akko was basically dying. The Shiny Rod was one smart bastard. Or maybe Alcor was the smart bastard. Whichever the case, Amanda would rather not risk it.

“Fine, I’m in, just let me wake up Diana and Hannah,” Akko said with a yawn, turning. Amanda blinked, dumbfounded.

“What now?”

“Why the hell would you wake them up?” Amanda asked.

“Well, they were with us back on the central tower of the Seelie Court, right?” Akko looked up, thinking back. “Yeah, that’s where I told Diana she was my rival,” she recalled.

“I mean… They just tagged along back then. Come on, let’s just go,” why would Akko even consider doing such a stupid thing? Well, because she was Akko, what a stupid question. However, Akko hesitated. Amanda deadpanned her. “Really now?”

“It just feels wrong. We’re a team, right? We should do it together,” Akko explained. Now of all times she tried to be rational? But it wasn’t out of character for her, despite how much Amanda dreaded the idea of having to take Hannah and Diana with them. But arguing with Akko was more often than not futile.

“Fine, whatever, bring them,” Amanda said. “But if they ruin it I’m going to blame you.”

Akko shrugged, moving to do as she wanted.

Hannah had decided not to wear her g-suit for this. Screw the heat, she wanted to wear something normal. She had put on dark blue jeans, a couple of converse and a pink blouse with a little bow in the midriff. Her hair was left the same, she had been too tired to try and do anything fancy.