Chapter 87

Diana was struggling to keep up with the others. Her physical condition wasn’t bad, but after two weeks of inactivity, even with magic helping to keep her body strong, it was hard to compare herself to Akko, Amanda, Hannah and even Jasminka. Jasminka didn’t need to do this anymore, but maybe she had taken a liking to it, because there she was, jogging on the treadmill, looking perfectly happy despite all the sweat running down her face.

Diana couldn’t be so happy. She was struggling to finish her own set of exercises. She had gone for the ones that didn’t require equipment first, but leaving the stationary bike for the end had definitely been a mistake. Still, it was just an hour of exercise a day. She’d grow used to it in no time. Akko and Amanda seemed fine, and Ursula looked as fresh as could be, as if exercising this much meant nothing to her. Hannah was on the same level as Jasminka, maybe struggling a little but not looking exhausted.

When Diana finished, everyone was already picking up their things to go shower. The gym had showers, but Amanda was the only one willing to use it.

Diana did notice that Hannah was looking at Amanda as she walked towards the showers. She was blushing slightly. When had she started to like Amanda? Diana thought she wasn’t interested. Did it even matter to her? No, the answer was no.

“Well, this is it for today. Akko, you’re back on schedule. Come train when the clock tells you,” Ursula said. Diana looked at Akko from the corner of her eye. She hadn’t even realized, but she was still wearing the clock Constanze had made for her to follow Diana’s schedule. She really respects me that much, Diana thought with a stab of pain in her chest. “Amanda, you…”

“Sorry, I’m busy!” Amanda shouted from the changing room. “It doesn’t even matter who’s in the turret anyways, just have Jasminka do it,” she said. Soon after, a shower was heard.

Ursula shook her head, but she didn’t seem to object to the claim. “Hannah, you’re going to start practicing with Diana in a short while. You’ve got much to learn about the Unicorn.”

Hannah cocked her head. Akko frowned. “The what?” Both of them asked at the same time.

Ursula’s eyes widened. “Oh, right, you don’t know…” Ursula pressed her lips. “Go take a shower and come down to the hangar,” she ordered.

Akko and Hannah both nodded, taking off, though Hannah took one last look towards the changing rooms, and Akko – as subtly as centipede wearing tap shoes – looked at Diana. When she was gone, Diana bit her lip. Akko hadn’t said a single word to her since this morning. She looked like she wanted to.

It was harsh, but Diana knew what she was doing. Particularly now, when she had to keep her single-minded focus on racing, or the controls of the Unicorn wouldn’t work.

Ursula also left the gym, followed by Jasminka, while Diana was picking up her things. She did it slowly, since she was tired. And, after everything, she walked towards the exit.

There, walking in, was Andrew. He looked at Diana with a natural expression and waved. Diana replied with daggers. She exited the gym without saying a word, and he didn’t dare say anything either. Why was he on the gym? He probably only wanted to work on his shape. Couldn’t be the son of a two-faced politic without it.

Diana sighed. She knew she shouldn’t have been so angry at Andrew specifically. He was raised a certain way and it wasn’t his fault. On the other hand, he was raised a certain way so he’d probably end up being the same as his father. Somehow, Andrew’s situation resembled Marian’s, from Emotions. Though at least Marian had the guts to stand up to them. Why was she comparing reality to a book?