Chapter 49

Akko didn’t find Ursula in her room. Using Lotte’s wand, she managed to locate her, finding that she had been in a reunion with her superiors. Since Ursula was hungry, they had agreed to meet up on Bronze Deck and eat on a food stand and then walk around. Now Akko waited impatiently next to the food stand they had agreed on. She had performed horribly in her simulation earlier, which had led her to just give up on that for the moment.

“I mean, it’s been ten minutes already,” Akko was saying. “Maybe something went wrong and she had to stay. Or maybe she’s so angry at me she ditched me… Nah, that’s not like Ursula. Wait, is it?”

The poor man next to her was nodding and smiling, trying very hard not to appear engaged on the conversation to not scare off clients. It wasn’t working.

“I mean, I get it if she did it,” Akko said, feeling a stab of guilt. “I ignored her big time during the race. Everyone’s probably angry at me anyways,” she was sitting on the edge of the stage in the middle of the deck, her legs bouncing with slight anxiety. “Are you angry at me, Hotdog man?”

“I’m Carlos,” the hotdog seller said, “And not really. You did pretty good in my opinion, miss pilot,” He said with respect. That didn’t stop him from looking like he wanted Akko to leave him alone, though.

“Thank you, hotdog man,” Akko said with a sigh. She knew he probably didn’t understand why she had failed so miserably, but at least not everyone was angry. Diana wasn’t any longer. Akko smiled slightly while thinking about it. She’d go to talk to Diana after talking to Ursula… Well, assuming Diana was awake. And assuming Hannah and Barbara let her.

“Akko,” suddenly, a voice made Akko perk up. Ursula stood there, uncharacteristically wearing something that wasn’t a g-suit. However, she was still wearing something that was probably an uniform. It was a purple ceremonial robe, looking like a witch’s attire. Down to her ankles, relatively wide sleeves, a belt and an oversized hat that was a little too cartoony, but it looked nice on her.

“Hello, coach. What’s up with the outfit?” Akko asked.

“I had a meeting with the headmistress of Luna Nova today. I wanted to be at my best and dress for the occasion,” Ursula explained.

“With the headmistress? Don’t you talk with presidents and stuff sometimes?” Akko could swear Ursula had mentioned it somewhere.

Ursula smiled. “Well, yes. But to me, Headmistress Holbrooke is much more important than any president could ever be,” she said. “But let’s ignore that, wanna eat?”

Akko nodded. Both of them grabbed a hotdog, and Akko waved the hotdog man goodbye as they walked away. They ate in peace, with Akko asking how had the meeting gone, and with Ursula simply stating that it had been not different from usual. Of course, Akko didn’t know what ‘usual’ was so she decided to leave it at that.

Well, not quite.

“Guess you could say it went as ursulal,” Akko said, dumb smile on her face as she tried to get Ursula to laugh. Ursula gave her a flat look, but her expression quickly shifted to a smile and she began to chuckle.

“Please don’t ever make that joke again,” Ursula said as she finished. Akko couldn’t help but keep smiling.

When they were done with the food, Ursula sat down on one of the benches nearby the windows that showed space as if in a giant cinema screen. Akko stood there, hearing the teacher taking a deep breath. She knew what was coming, even though neither of them wished to have this conversation, probably.