An Unexpected Voicemail

The glass of water almost spilled on Hyacinth's peach collar. It has been almost ages since she last heard the voice of her mother-that familiar ring of tone which has always terrified the core of her being since she was a child.

Why did all these years did she reach for her? They have lost contact ever since she got her first job at a daily newspaper in Jakarta. Hyacinth was a foreign correspondent in one of Jakarta's staple media outlets, representing New Zealand. She was a top-notch Journalism graduate back in college and from the instant she got her diploma, she resolved to work abroad and apply her talents in an Asian country which spelled mystery and marvelous opportunities for her.

It wasn't so much the motive behind the surprise voice mail that agitated Hyacinth. It was the shaking voice of her mother that rocked her insides. When her mother spoke that way, she had an undeniable hunch that something very wrong had happened or just about to happen.

"Honey, you need to come home...no words to explain. Your father...something to do with your father," her mother pleaded.

The rest of the voice mail Hyacinth set aside.

Going home to New Zealand after seven years seemed very intrusive on Hyacinths's part especially since her journalism career has been blossoming vividly. The last thing she wanted was a hindrance to a promotion that she has so desired lately.

But, in her own private thoughts, she did miss her Burmese cat, Ivory. Maybe coming home would ignite the sparks between her and her prized cat which she purposefully left seven wonderful years ago.