Face to Face with her Mom

Hyacinth has tried to avoid talking to her mother for real ever since the first day she stepped onto her parental house. "There's always another time," she would reassure herself. And every time there was an opportunity for them to have a deep conversation, Hyacinth freaked out. 

    On her second week in Wellington, she finally mustered all her courage to speak to her mom like the good school girl she always was. 

     "Why is dad in such a bad condition?". Hyacinth asked in a soft voice. 

    "Lymphoma cancer...he has painless swelling of lymph nodes in his neck, armpits, and groin. "

    "How much time does he have left?". Hyancinth answered back in a flat tone.

   "Soon...very soon."

   "He finally met his karma...didn't he?".

   "He's still your father." 

      Her mother went back to dish-washing and tried to assuage the awkward scene. 

     Hyacinth's tone changed and this time she was fierce and adamant. "You knew very well what was happening but you kept your mouth shut and let it on."

    Marla continued with the dishes. "Whatever happened in the past belonged to the past. Let us not dig any deeper into that. I'm sure your father has repented at some point." 

    In her younger years, Hyacinth has always called her mom by her first name, Marla. But her sister Penelope has tried to correct the error and called Hyacinth impolite and reminded her she wasn't a typical American but an Australian with traditional norms. 

    Penelope has stressed the point, "Call her Mommie...okay?". In return, she called their dad, "Popsie." 

    Hyacinth wasn't aware if Penelope had any idea what was going on in the household many years ago. Sometimes Hyacinth had wondered what if Penelope had known the awful truth, would she have sided with her? Or would she have played deaf ears just like her mom?