Recollection

When Hyacinth arrived in Wellington, after seven long years, the first thing she did was to pass by her old high school. She instructed the taxi driver to linger for a while along the grounds of her cherished campus. She was transfixed on the gigantic sport ground where she often practiced and performed as a cheerleader. She remembered her co cheerleaders who were as vivacious as she was, all of seventeen years going on eighteen.

She was still in contact with about three of four of her cheerleader chums. The rest of the brood were either married, divorced, or on the verge of separation. She sighed very deeply, and asked herself when was the last time she had a stable relationship.

The obliging taxi driver drove her to her home-an abode she has often encountered in her vivid dreams and sometimes lucid moments. The residential home she once acclaimed as hers, didn't have any major changes. The only dominant feature she noticed was a garden-surrounded with flowers. What breed of flowers they were she couldn't tell except that they were extremely colorful and gay.

A familiar greeter leaped out of the veranda and rushed to Hyacinth, ready to ponce on her.

"Hey big sister!", Penelope bear-hugged Hyacinth.

"Little sister! Why haven't you emailed me for long?" Hyacinth returned the overly warm hug.

"Long story Cinth...you know what happened to dad."

I flipped my checkered shawl both in anticipation and agony. "Mom, she never explained in detail. I have no idea what happened."

"I'm sure you're hungry...come join me for breakfast."

When they were younger, Hyacinth in middle school and Penelope was still in grade school, they often cooked together and prepared mighty meals for breakfast. Penelope's mashed potato was incomparable with the ones she bought from foreign restos in Jakarta. And Penelope lovingly said that Hyacinth's tuna vegetable salad was the best in Wellington.

"I'd sure love that!" Hyacinth quipped and later on switched to become nervous.