Chapter 5

The next day, Louis was planning on getting the last few questions answered but he didn't even know how to go about it. While they got things settled yesterday and Harry did smile at him before he left, he was still worried he really offended the boy. Which was a bit confusing since Harry didn't seem like the type to get offended fast. 

When Louis arrived to school, he planned on meeting up with Liam and wanted to confess that he already changed his partner to Harry. He felt bad for leaving him in the dark and not being honest with him. It wouldn't be fair to make him think he has a partner, then drop him right when they had to present. 

Louis got his books and put his bag in his locker, then he headed to class. He knew Liam was always there early and it was amusing, because he was the type to early. Louis walked into the classroom and just like predicted, Liam was there with his homework out, going over it twice. Louis was relieved that the teacher wasn't there. 

He made his way over to the boy and saw that his bag was on the seat. He pursed his lips and went to move the bag, but Liam looked up then placed his hand on it, leaving the bag in place. 

Louis furrowed his eyebrows, chuckling, "Uh, your bag is in the way." 

"Yep," Liam popped the 'p'. "Is there something you want?" 

"Er," Louis felt on edge now. He didn't know why Liam was acting like this. "I just, I wanted to tell you that I kind of um, Harry asked me if he wanted to be partners and I completely forgot that I already told you yes, so I may have told him yes." 

Liam nodded slowly, "Alright, tell him that then." 

"Oh," Louis hesitated. "I can't." 

"Why not? We were partners first," Liam raised an eyebrow. "Only seems fair." 

"Right, yeah. True, but like. I already told Mr. Fredrickson that we were partners," Louis admitted, only to see that Liam didn't even look surprised. "I'm really sorry, I will make it up to you. I can still help you if you want? I mean, you said you were gonna do the work anyways, so it won't be that different." 

Liam rolled his eyes and hesitated before asking, "So, what's going on? Cause you kept asking about Harry all the time and now you're abandoning me for him." 

"Nothing," Louis said defensively, avoiding his eyes. "I just promised him and I felt bad." 

"Am I supposed to believe that? You're a shitty liar," Liam muttered. 

"I'm not." 

"Are you using me to get to him?" Liam countered, furrowing his eyebrows. "Cause it feels like that." 

"G—Get to him?" Louis felt his hands go clammy. He's catching on and it isn't good. 

Much to his surprise, Liam accused, "Are you and your friends trying to do something to him? Cause I thought you were better than them and if you are, I will beat your arse. I'm not one for fighting but Harry is the sweetest person I've ever met and I know he can be a bit much, but I won't tolerate nonsense like tha—" 

"No, no, no," Louis said quickly. "Definitely not. I'm not the kind of person to do something like that, I promise. I genuinely just said yes on accident and felt bad. I thought you'd be a lot less hurt if I changed partners." 

Liam eyed him suspiciously, "I don't know. I saw you giving him a ride after school and it seemed like you were planning something or – I don't know. But it was really shitty of you to cancel hanging out with me, then go with him." 

"I know, I'm so sorry," Louis frowned and moved his bag to sit down. 

"C'mon, don't be mad." Liam turned his head and ignored him.