Prologue

'' Daddy, what's wrong with mommy?'' I asked as he buckled my worn out seat belt.

We were going somewhere. He said we were going to say goodbye to mommy.

But why would we have to say goodbye? She was going to come back home. Who else would be my mommy? Know body else could be my mommy. It would only be her.

'' She is going away for a while, but you will see her again baby, promise,'' He said, smiling down at me.

A tear drop went down his eye and I looked at him in wonder. He never cried.

I pulled my princess off my lap and twirled her around. Then I started thinking.

Mommy was the queen and daddy was the king. I was the princess in my hand. One day mommy would throw a big wedding and I would have a happily ever after with my prince and mommy and daddy would be as proud of me as I rode off into the sunset on my carriage.

'' Daddy, when will I see her again? Why does she have to leave?''

'' Hun, she has a thing called cancer. It grows inside of her and then, one moment she goes to sleep. The next time you will see her is in heaven,'' he said, sniffling.

He sounded different, like it was hard to talk.

'' What's heaven daddy?''

'' Heaven is where people go when they fall asleep and don't wake back up.''

I nodded. I didn't really understand much of what he said but I nodded. I was a big girl, mommy even told me so. And big girls understood everything.

We pulled into a parking lot with a big building. Daddy opened his door and helped me out of my seat, carrying me inside.

It was really white inside. And everyone was wearing white. Some people were even wearing the same things. Why would they do that?

Daddy walked down many hallways and then stopped outside a door.

He opened it slowly, looking inside. I jumped off him, running into the room. There was a big white bed and sheets draping down. I couldn't see who was on the bed.

Daddy picked me up and suddenly I saw her.

Mommy was in one of the white costumes, lying down. She didn't look like herself. She looked really sick.

'' Mommy?'' I asked, not sure if it was her.

'' Yes baby?'' she asked, extending her arms out to hold me.

Daddy placed me gently in her arms. She laid me down next to her, putting blankets on top of me.

'' How was your day today?'' she asked, stroking my hair.

'' It was ok. But you weren't there to get me from school, daddy was instead. I wanted you to be there,'' I said, coughing.

'' I'm sorry baby, but mommy couldn't have got you today''

I nodded, snuggling into her.

The only noise I could hear was the TV above my head. I didn't look at it though because a grown up show was on, and I didn't like those. I liked sponge bob and at times Hannah Montana.

Suddenly a beeping noise came on and people rushed into the room.

She kissed the top of my head, and I realized my hair was wet.

'' Goodbye Violet, I love you always and forever,'' she said to me as the people lifted me off the bed.

Daddy went forward, grabbing her hand and leaning over her.

Then he pulled away and mommy was rolled out of the room.

I never saw her again.