Letting Go

How long was it, he'd been in love with Halt? Twenty or so years, he supposed. 

Crowley bit his lip as tears rolled down his cheeks. He knew that Halt loved Pauline. And that said Courier reciprocated his feelings. But he couldn't help but hope, that maybe, just maybe....

It was all for nothing, though. Halt had finally gotten the guts to propose to Pauline. Crowley knew it was coming. He was happy. Really, he was. It wasn't like he was jealous or anything.

Fine, he was jealous.

Crowley stared out the window. Despite leading a hard life, Halt was luckier than he realized. Halt wasn't lonely like Crowley. Halt had been recognized as a hero. He'd gotten the chance to watch two young men grow up and become great Rangers-possibly some of the best in the Corps.

Most of all, he'd gotten a taste of love.

Love was a bitter thing, the greatest monster of all. Crowley had had two crushes. Halt was one. So was Lady Pauline. 

"There's no point, Crowley." he told himself. "They love each other and there's no point in being sad anymore. You have to let go."

Even when he said those words, he knew it would be impossible. He would never be able to let go of his love. He would never be able to stop feeling the grief and pain that came whenever he thought about the upcoming wedding. 

But he would try. 

Letting go would be the hardest thing he'd ever done, but he would do it. For Halt.

Maybe in his next life, he'd find love. But for now, he would have to be happy without it.

It was something that tore him apart, from the inside out.

Loving someone means letting them go. And if they come back, they love you too.