Chapter 1

*It gets better than the first chapter*

"Damn it, Take it back!" I yelled to Cory, one of the boys from the pack.

"Neber!" His muffled voice yelled back. I had one of his arms behind his back as I rubbed his face into the dirt lawn that was in front of our school.

"I swear to God I will break it in-!"

"What the hell is going on here?!" A deep voice yelled, interrupting my threat. I quickly checked over my shoulder and shook the bangs out of my eyes, my forehead was sweaty which made my hair be totally unreasonable. The voice belonged to the school's principal, another one of the pack members. My wolf growled inside my head, my fangs made themselves present and I turned back to Cory.

"Take it back!" I pulled his arm further up his back until it was almost above his shoulder blades and he made a gurgling noise.

Suddenly I was pulled off of Cory by the collar of my t-shirt. A strong, muscular arm wrapped around my waist and lifted me into the air as I clawed and flailed my limbs in Cory's direction. He turned over on his back and cradled his arm against his side with an expression of pain on his face. I stopped fighting against the principal and I hissed at Cory while I was dragged into the school.

Once we were inside, he let me walk on my own feet and towed me down several hallways to his office.

"Sit!" He commanded. I did what I was told and took a seat in front of his desk. He left the office and slammed the door shut, which made me wonder if I should climb out the window and make a run for it.

Before I could even move, the principal came back with a whimpering Cory in tow. He threw Cory into the seat next to mine. I snuck a glance at him and had to stifle a chuckle; his face had dirt and blood all over it, mostly concentrated on his nose and he had the most grumpiest face I had ever seen on anyone. A little laugh escaped me and I tried to disguise it as a cough.

"Now I want to know what was going on out there. One at a time. Go," The principal growled. Anger seemed out of place for him, he was usually a nice guy.

I stayed silent as Cory explained how I ''for no reason at all'' flipped him onto his stomach and started beating on him, even though there was a perfectly good reason why I attacked him. Cory's annoying voice droned on and I got distracted by the principal playing with his tie.

Cory said something about my dad. My dead dad. My recently dead dad. Then my wolf and I got all riled up and I was on top of him.

Cory finally stopped talking and the principal gestured to me.

My time to shine.

My wolf giggled.

I pulled on the most apologetic face that I could muster, made my eyes gigantic and my mouth frowning and turned to Cory.

"Cory I'm very sorry. From the bottom of my unbeating heart," My heart in actuality does beat, very slowly, "From the deepest pits of my dark soul! I.." I took a dramatic pause, "apologize."

I didn't actually have anything to apologize for, I just needed to get out of the way of authority so I could finish fulfilling my vendetta. This was the quickest way for it.

Cory's mouth gaped at me and there was a moment of silence before principal began clapping. He really is a nice guy.

Vendetta, my wolf growled, loud enough to leave an echo in my head.

"Now that's what I like to see! My students getting along! Forgiving each other! This is wonderful!" he chuckled, "Well, Evie, I guess I don't have to give you any detention - as long as you've learned your lesson, of course."

I grabbed Cory's warm hand in my cold one. "Oh I have. I feel a million times better," I put my free hand over my heart and sighed happily.

Cory dropped my hand and stood up in outrage, which knocked his chair over with a thud.

"Look at my face! She deserves some kind of punishment for this!" He yelled.

I probably did.

The principal took his glasses off and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Look, Cory, let's just put this whole business behind us! Or else word will get out and then everyone will know that a 16 year old Junior girl dropped you on your stomach, you! An 18 year old male wolf! You don't want that, Just forget about this," he said.

Cory sat down with a huff and the principal continued. "Now since this ended so quickly and peacefully, I'll drive you both to the pack house so no one has to walk home, and we can all be good friends!"

Not for long.

I forced a smile as Cory and I followed him throughout the school while he locked up. When he finished, he led us outside to his car. I voluntarily went to the backseat and Cory sat up front, soon we were speeding away to the pack house.

As soon as we got to the house, Cory and I stepped out of the car and slammed our doors shut in sync.

"Well kids I guess I'll see you two later! I have to go get groceries now, the Mrs. is planning on raw steak for dinner." I stood next to Cory and held his hand. I could tell by the way he squeezed back that he was relaxed now. He was trusting me now.

Good.

Vendetta, my wolf whispered.

"You two be good!" With that, the principal drove down the road. It was only when he was completely out of sight that Cory turned and led me to the gigantic pack house, as he swung our arms between us.

"I'm kind of glad we're cool now. I mean, you totally overreacted. Maybe we can even go on a date sometime-"

"I'll kill you!" I yelled. I grabbed his leg and lifted it high up so that he fell onto the lawn. My wolf laughed an evil laugh as I pounced on him and pulled his arm up his back again.