Chapter 16: The Formula

About 400 years ago, before the City of Ashes and Gold was built, the Homunculus' were only a small family who owned a trading business.

Blaze Homunculus, the third son of Yula Homunculus, wanted more power. He'd had enough of working in a small shop on the edge of the continent. He needed more in his life. Blaze had had some basic experience with science in the past, so he devised plans for a formula.

The formula, when consumed, would essentially make the consumer become mindless and without morals or opinions. They would then respond to any command they were given.

The plan was to make the entire population take the formula, in the form of a drink, and therefore turn the whole of Azterak into mindlessly obedient slaves. This would most likely only be the first step, and the Homunculus' would eventually have the whole planet under their command.

However, an army led by a warlord named Garth Chryo found out about this and waged war on the Homunculus family. A small battle broke out, on the site where the City of Ashes and Gold now stands. Only a small portion of the formula had been made. The intention was to test it before it was released. But Garth stole the formula and took it away with him.

The story states that Garth hid the formula. Garth and his family were killed but it was never found.

This means that the formula could still be out there and ready to use. The only way to destroy it is with Homunculus blood. The blood had to be the youngest in the family.

Skip forward 400 years to present day, and according to Kay, Jasper had an illegitimate son. His name is Neo Homunculus III, and he's been in hiding for 20 years. Being the only one left, that also makes him the youngest.

Neo is what Kay was looking for.