Chapter 21: Four Hours Part 1

We were four hours away from the shore of Beran. It had been a day since my collapse and I was still lying in bed, sweating profusely and watching the sea pass by out the window.

Little did I know that over the course of the next four hours, a sequence of unpredictable events would occur.

First Hour:

Lonely Soul sat across the room from me on the opposite bed.

"It's rather boring on this ship." He complained.

"You're a ghost." I replied, "You could just fly off somewhere else."

"I can't fly." He pointed out, "And it's only boring because I can't talk to anyone."

"It's better for us all if the other passengers don't know you exist."

Amber entered the room with Storm.

"Hey," Amber said to me, "How are you feeling?"

"As bad as I look." I replied.

She sat down on my bed and handed me another cup of water. I took a sip.

"So, we're almost at Beran." Storm said, "Where do we go from there?"

"My father sounds like he knows where we're going," I answered, "Something to do with that knowledge drug that Niveria gave him back in Highspring."

I noticed Amber looking out the window. I followed her gaze and saw that the sky had gone completely grey

"That doesn't look good." I said.

"I feel like there's a storm coming on." Amber replied.

"Hey, Storm." Lonely Soul said, "I've always wondered why you're called that."

"I was born in a storm, according to my aunt." Storm said, "While we're on the subject, how come we call you Lonely Soul? I'm sure that wasn't your name when you were...alive."

"I can't remember my real name..." Lonely Soul replied, "It was more than 400 years ago, to be fair. I think it was something like...Eric...or Edgar...or something like that."

Suddenly, there was a flash of lightening and a moment later, the thunder boomed.

"There wasn't a very big gap between the lightning and the thunder." Amber said, "That means that the storm's close."

"I'm sure it's just passing." I said, "It won't be that bad."

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Second Hour:

The thunder and lightening kept on coming and the rain was getting heavier. I had finally got out of bed and was sat opposite my father in the dining room, both of us clutching cups. The room was empty, spare for us. 

The ship was rocking quite violently.

"It'll pass by in a minute." Kay said, "Storm's like this usually don't last long."

"It's been building up for an hour." I said, "I'm getting slightly worried."

"Even if it does erupt properly," Kay said, "This ship's strong enough to stay afloat. We'll be fine. Don't worry."

"I'm not worrying." I told him.

"But, you just said you were worried." He replied.

The ship shook and I spilt some of the water out of my cup.

"There you are!" A voice came from the door.

I looked over to see my father's new lady friend.

"Here I am!" My father called cheerfully.