Chapter Five

Jude and Jughead were once again together. She was at the drive in, the night before the last show. She enjoyed Jughead's company and he made her forget about Max. She also liked trusting that she could wear short sleeves around him, with all her scars.
"Jug, who lives here?" Jude asked, observing the small bed. She saw Jughead's skin pale considerably, "Don't-Jughead, you don't live here, right?" Jughead's eyes began to water, fear of the humiliating comments Jude was going to make towards him.
"Yes, Jude." He whispered, as a tear fell down his cheek.
"Oh, Juggie, don't cry please." Jude sat down on his lap, wiping the tears and wrapping her arms around him.
"My dad-Jude, my dad fucked up my life so bad. My mom and sister are gone. It's just him. He doesn't have a job and he isn't even trying." Jughead whispered against Jude's shoulder. Jude removed Jughead's beanie and rubbed her hands through his hair, as if to calm him down.
"That's okay Jug, if you want, I'll let you stay in my room. At least for tonight?" Jude's voice was hopeful, "I'm not going to force you to stay with me. You hardly know me and I am sure you want to spend some time here before this place is demolished. What about afterwards?"
"I already have a place. Don't worry, I know a lot of people on this side of town." The lie slipped easily from Jughead's mouth, "And I have to prep tonight for the movie, so I'll just stay here. It's warm and I love it here. It's small but this is where some of my happiest memories are and being here makes me...happy." Jude smiled, wiping more stray tears.
"You're a good guy, Juggie. I'm sorry your life isn't that great." Jughead smiled as she kissed his cheek.

Jughead seemed to lose control over himself, grabbing the small girl by the waist and pulling her in for a kiss. Jude's arms instantly went around his neck and into his hair. Jughead bit her lip softly, making the girl moan lightly. Jughead picked her up roughly, placing them on the small bed.

Jude was shocked by everything, but the kiss was helping keep those anxious and depressed feelings at bay, it soothed her PTSD and paranoia. She allowed it to happen, not knowing the mistake that would come.

"That can't happen again Jude, I am sorry." Jughead said, as the shaking girl attempted to put her clothes on. Her nimble fingers fumbled with the cloth of her t shirt, slipping it over her head.
"I understand, I mean, we just met. That would be weird if we dated out of the blue." Jude replied as she laughed awkwardly, trying not to cry.
"Are you okay?"
"Of course, quite frankly, I'm unsure of what you think I am feeling. It was casual." Again, she laughed off her comment, "Well, pleasure doing business with you." Jude said, giving a mock solute, and she sprinted out the door and away from the drive in.

"God damn, 'pleasure doing business with you'? I'm literally going to end myself." Jude said to herself as she approached her home. She sighed. It hurt her that Jughead wanted nothing to do with her. She really liked him, a lot.

Max was with the Serpents, so she was alone. She walked to her room, deciding to get her mind of everything. She flipped through some songs on her phone, allowing Scars by James Bay to play. She felt the tears welling in her eyes as she thought about Jughead and the events that happened. Why didn't he like her? What was wrong with her? Tears poured from her eyes at the last question. What isn't wrong with me? Jude thought as she dropped onto her bed. She laid back, curling into a tiny ball and letting the sobs rack her small body.

Jude didn't attend school that Friday, instead she stayed home. She would rather not see Jughead, or anyone for that matter. Max hadn't been home and Jude was a good bit worried. She didn't want to go look for him though, as she didn't want to risk causing more trouble. So she remained by the door, waiting and waiting.

Hours later, the door opened. It reveled a very bloody faced Max. His lip was split and he had some major bruising and a large cut across his forehead. Jude was asleep on the couch though, having fell asleep waiting for him. He felt bad, seeing Jude stretched across the couch. Max quickly went to his room, so Jude didn't see his face just yet and laid down across his bed.

Those guys really beat the piss out of him. He was fine though, his face hurt. He didn't want Jude to know that he had to go through that to get in. It was 10 times worse for Max than anyone, since everyone knew who his father was. Max sighed, feeling his eyelids come close.

Jude was walking to the Blue and Gold to see about new evidence, when she saw Jughead. She quickly turned around, trying to walk away.
"Jude, come here!" Betty called so she came and sat down. "Someone stole files from the Sheriff's place, trashed the whole board."
"Any fingerprints?" Jude asked. Kevin, who Jude didn't notice until just then, gave an answer.
"No, nothing was found."
"Yeah, Kevin was just telling us about it, I thought you should know." Betty's voice sounded accusing, making Jude wonder if she had done something wrong to Betty.
"I-" Jude was cut off.
"Hey Betty."
"Trev hi!" Betty's big smiled came back as she spoke to Trev.
"Sorry to interrupt."
"Oh no, it's okay Trev, we were just working on our...uh..."
"Our murder board." Jughead spoke for the first time since Jude entered.
"Well, I just wanted to make sure we're still on for tomorrow?" Trev said, nervously as he spoke to Betty.
"Absolutely, it's a date." Jughead gave Betty a strange look, "I mean, I'll...I'll see you there." Jughead seemed very jealous as Jude looked at him.
"Going on a date with Trev? Does Mama Cooper know about that?" Kevin teased.
"Kev, I'm not on house arrest." Kevin and Jughead stared as Jude looked at the ground, "Okay, she's out of town at a Women in Journalism spa retreat. Anyway, its not a "date" date."
"You just called it a date. You literally said, "it's a date."" Jude's eyes looked toward Jughead, seeing the jealousy. It hurt her, but she didn't want to cause any issues, so her eyes casted back to the ground. She tuned out the rest of the conversation, focusing on not crying on front of them. Soon, everyone had left, except Jughead and Jude.

"Jude, are you okay?" Jughead reached a hand to touch her shoulder but she moved from him.
"Yeah, I am absolutely fine." Jude threw on a fake smile, "But I do have to go." Jude said.
"Please Jude, I don't want things to be like this." Jude stopped.
"Then why did you do it?"
"Do you like me or something? Is that why you're hung up on this?" Jude felt her eyes harden. She shook her head and just left the room, without a single word.