Flashbacks

"Bertoldt, I promise I'll stay here for you"

I lean over the large body that was now crumpled on the hard ground. Words cannot describe how devastated he is. His voice halts as tears stream down his pristine face, causing him to just hide it again and forcing me to listen to his heartwrenching coughs.

"It wasn't your fault", I cry, "no matter what I still care about you."

"Care about what?" He growls angrily. I widen my eyes and lean back at his sudden change in emotion. "I'm a murderor. It's all over for me. How is there anything to care for?."

I sit down and wrap my arms around him, letting him be the confused one now. I've never hugged him before, but I've always wanted to. And he needed it any way possible.

"Listen to me. The soldiers were just going to die anyway. There wasn't hope for them. But there's hope for us, why can't we just run away from this hell?"

"That's out of the question" Bertoldt sighs, "even if I can turn into a titan they still prey on me like I'm a human"

"I know", I whisper. "But Bertoldt...."

He turns his head towards me and the look in his eyes breaks my heart even more. Can I really tell him?

"Bertoldt.. I love you."

His eyes widen and I can almost see them soften for a split second. Just the feeling of getting his mind off what he's done for a millisecond makes me the happiest person alive.

"I don't care about what just happened", I mutter as he still stares at me with an expression I can't identify, "it mean nothing to me. Nothing. You are a good person, who feels the right feelings and does the right things whenever you can. And I love you for that." I duck my head in a cowardice manner as I pull my arms off of his shoulders.

"I also know you loved Annie. I appreciate that, but I just couldn't stop from loving the nervously strong boy I came to meet. Just acknowledging that you thought about me once will make me proud to be the person I am"

As I say this a thought pops into my head. Then and there I don't know why, but it did.

Our Wings of Freedom weren't given to us. As we sat there in a cluster of emotions and mixed feelings, our wings just began to grow.