Chapter 6

The next day, Tyler and Trevor had a game. Amazingly, they acted like nothing was wrong between them. The way it has always been was Trevor played Shortstop, Tyler was a 2nd baseman, Tommy played 3rd base, and I pitched. Whenever we played at the old sandlot with all of their friends, I always pitched, and they always played their positions. It is still that way today, but Tommy plays 3rd base with the Oklahoma City Dodgers. Tyler and Trevor played 2nd base and shortstop respectively, and during the game, they worked together like it was any random day. 

One time, when they got a double play, Tommy and I cheered loudly. After the game, our dad had said we had an hour to practice before we had to go home. We were going to see my mom today. Going to see my mom was fine, but I hated to see her at the hospitals. I would rather see her at home, in her chair, watching TV, eating dinner, anywhere but at the hospitals, with their white halls, white clothes, and the bleach smell.  She had to be in the hospital all the time being monitored and tested and stuff, so we only got to see her every two weeks or so. 

Anyway, they won the game 7-3 against one of the better teams in the district. We celebrated afterward with a quick ice ream break, then home to clean up. We all then drove together to the hospital my mom was at. We took my car because nobody (except Tyler) wanted to ride in Tyler's car. He pitched a huge fit, but Tommy told him to "man up" or we would leave him at home. That got him to shut up.

When we got to the hopsital, Dad was waiting outside and we all walked in together. My mom was in her own room and it was pretty big, but, as was tradition, each of us went in individually. We had a pre-set order. When Tommy was there he went first, then Trevor, then Tyler, then me, then Dad. Tommy suprised Mom by going in. They talked for a while, then Trevor went in. After him, Tyler went, and finally it was my turn. When I went in, Mom was sitting on her bed, with her phone. One look told me she was checking Facebook. When she saw me, though, she put her hone away, and I gave her a big hug. 

"Hi Mom!" I said. 

"Taylor, how are you?" She asked. 

"Good. You?"

"Fine, fine. How's school?" 

"It's okay." I respond. 

"How are your brothers?" She asks. 

"Mom, you just saw them!" I exclaim. 

"I know." She says teasingly. "But I want to hear it from you." 

"They are fine." I say. "They are boys. Need I say more?" I ask. 

She laughs, then says, "And how are your friends?" 

I pause, then open my mouth to say something, then close my mouth. My mom sees this, and moves on. "Have you given any more thought to baseball?" 

"Mom, I told you." I say. "The school does not let girls on the baseball team. I have asked before."

"Wait, doesn't the coach like your brothers?" 

"Well, yeah, but he doesn't want it to become a co-ed team." I say. 

"Maybe you could have Tommy talk to him. As I recall, Tommy as his favorite that year." 

I don't say anything at this because, yes, I would love to play for the boys team. Softball is not the same. I can't pitch the way I want. But at the same time, it would be submitting myself to even more torture than now. I decide to come back to this string of thoughts later. I look at my watch and realize it is Dad's turn. 

"Okay, Mom. I gotta go. I love you." I give her a big hug. "I will text you updates on life!" 

"Okay sweetie. Love you." 

I walk outside, and Dad goes in. I lean against the wall and sigh. Tommy sees this and comes over next to me. 

"Are you okay?" He asks. 

"Yeah. Mom just asked a billion questions, as per usual." 

"How do you think I feel? I've been away for a few months." 

"Yeah, yeah. But she asked about friends again, which, as you know, is a lost cause." 

"No it's not." I give him a Look, and he says, "Continue."

"She also brought up playing on the boys team. Again." 

"I don't know what you are so stubborn about. You are a great pitcher. You just have to believe in yourself."

"I just, I don't know, I feel like it won't make me more likeable. I'll be less likeable."

"If anyone says something," Tommy says. "Tell them your older brother will hurt them."

I laugh, but keep my eyes trained on the ground. Tommy is about to say something, but the door opens. Dad comes out, and once he closes the door, he says, "Okay gang. Let's go to Island's for lunch."

Dad drives his own car, and my brothers and I go in my car. I let Tommy drive my car because he hasn't before. Remarkably, he doesn't kill my car. Or anyone else's cars. 

We all eat lunch, talking about random things, and when lunch is over, Dad says, "I have to go to the stadium to do some paperwork, so you guys have a few hours to yourself. I am having people over for dinner though, so be home by 5 at the latest. Dinner is at 6:30."

We all decide to go see Captain Marvel, which just came out. (Actually it was a 3-1 vote with Tyler voting against. Not surprising, actually.) The movie was really good, and I leave happier than I was before. We get home at 4:45 exactly. I trudge upstairs to my room, not wanting anybody over tonight, but begin to get ready anyway.