Chapter 8

The day after the dinner, which was as boring as I predicted, I woke up to the sound of my phone going off. I roll over and pick it up, immediately waking up when I see that it is Jessica. 

I swipe to open the call. 

"Good morning!" She says, full of cheer. 

"Morning." I say. 

"Today at the sandlot, right?" She asks. 

"Yep." I say. "See you then." I end the call, then get out of bed. I am walking out of the bathroom, when someone knocks on my door. I go open it, and Tommy is grinning.

"Dad said he has to go to the stadium today to do work, so he asked if we wanted to go there to play on the field." 

I almost scream, because Dad rarely lets us go on the field. But then I realize that I already said I'd go to the sandlot. 

"Can I bring Jessica? She and I were going to go to the Sandlot today." 

"Dad did say we can all bring someone." 

He turns and walks towards his room. I close my door and call Jessica. 

"Hey Jess, we are not going to go to the sandlot today." I say. 

"What? Why?" She asks. 

"Because I've got something better. Still baseball related. Bring your glove. Meet at my house at 10." Then I hang up. I throw on a Dodgers shirt, put my hair up in a ponytail put on a pair of shorts, and grab my blue Jansport backpack. I throw my phone and wallet in the front pocket. I put a Dodgers hat on my head, and walk out of my room. I go downstairs and go into the sports closet to grab my glove. I close it, and am walking to the kitchen to grab a granola bar, when I see Trevor. 

He is sitting playing on his phone. I walk over and say, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." He says, but I can tell he is not. 

"Really?" I ask. 

"I just... do you see me differently now that I've told you I'm bi?" 

The upfrontness of the question suprises me, but I answer truthfully. 

"When you first told us, I was a bit suprised, but in answer to your question, no. I don't see you any differently. Why?"

"I feel like Tyler now sees me as differently." 

"I think he is just taking longer to process it. He may not know how to deal with it. Don't worry about it." I say. 

And with that, he goes back to his phone. I walk into the kitchen, grab a peanut butter granola bar and eat it in about 5 seconds. I walk back into the kitchen and see that Tommy has joined Trevor. He has a backpack similar to mine, only his is gray. 

"Are we bringing our bats? Or no?" I ask. 

"Uhhh, I guess we can." Tommy says. 

"Okay." I start walking toward the sports closet, and Tommy yells out, "Can you get mine?"

"Mine too?" Trevor yells. 

"Sure." I grab mine, Tommy's, and Trevor's. I close the door, and walk back into the kitchen. I hand the bats to them, only to have them go grab their bigger bags from the closet. When they come back out, having left their bags by the garage door, I say, "Can I put my bat in your bag, Tommy?" 

"Yeah." 

I go over and put it next to his, and when I come back, Tyler is downstairs. 

The doorbell rings, and I run to go get it. Jessica is standing there with her glove in her hand, a hat on her head, and a smile on her face. We hug tightly, before walking over to where my idiot brothers are still standing. Tyler is grinning like the cat that ate the canary, and Jessica marches over to him. "You son of a-"

"Finally found out, huh?" Tyler asks, laughing. 

"Found out what?" Trevor asks, echoing my thoughts. 

"That he stuck a stink bomb in my softball bag the day before I left, and when I got to my new house and opened up the bag, everything in there smelled like a skunk. I had to replace everything except my glove. It was in a seperate pocket and didn't smell." 

Jessica moved away the summer after our freshman year. I haven't seen her since. 

"Really Tyler?" Tommy asks. "So immature."

"My thoughts exactly." I say. "Now, are we standing around for some reason other than to waste time?" 

"No." Tommy says. 

"Let's go then." I say. 

"Where are we going?" Jessica asks.

"It is a secret." I say. 

We all go out in the garage and start to go towards Tyler's car, because I don't want to drive today, when Tommy says, "Nope." 

He opens up the garage, and sitting in the driveway is his dark grey Cadillac. I yell, "SHOTGUN!" before putting my backpack in the front seat. 

Jessica, quick thinker she is, sits down in the seat behind me. Trevor plops down in the seat behind the driver, and Tyler, grumbling, climbs over Trevor's legs into the middle.  

Tommy pulls out of the driveway and closes the garage. Once we get onto the freeway, Tommy turns the music on. He turns to a channel we all love, the 00s rock station, and "Move Along" by the All-American Rejects comes on. We all sing at the top of our lungs, with the sun-roof open and the windows down. 

It is a beautiful L.A. day today, with a clear sky and a light breeze. 

"Move along, move along like I know you to. And even when your hope is gone, move along, move along, just to make it through." We all sing. We aren't even halfway to the stadium, but I already know it is going to be a great day.