Xavier

"You've finally found the one. What more do you want?" Devlin exclaimed, disbelief overtaking his swirled grey eyes.

"I wanted peace between Winter and Summer, not this." Riyalin replied in exasperation, Devlin shaking his head with a scoff.

"Most people wish for an Eresthrai their entire lives, and yet here you are complaining about yours." Devlin reprimanded, and Riyalin sat back down into the couch with a frown, refusing to look at Devlin.

"Riyalin." She remained adamant, her brows creased and her gaze far from the other Estran.

"Riy." Her eyes snapped to Devlin's, her glare softening.

He took her hand and held the quiet between them for a while, before breaching the comfort in their calm.

"What's wrong?" Riyalin attempted to deny it, but he knew better.

"Riy. I want real answers. What is going on?" Devlin pressed, and she gave in with a sigh.

"Eresthrais give balance, right?" Devlin nodded, motioning for her to continue.

"Well, you know Father. If he decides that my Eresthrai isn't," Riyalin contemplated for a moment, "worthy of Winter court, he'll kill him."

No sign of weakness dropped from her, but it was easy for Devlin to see she was unsettled by the mere idea.

"I haven't even solidified the bond and I'm already in love with him. I don't-"

She dropped her head for a second before facing Devlin with an intensified fury.

"I will not let him die for something as foolish as that." Riyalin snarled, and Devlin smiled at the sight.

"Good. So go back to your court and keep him under your watch constantly if you love him." It didn't take long for her to obey.

In seconds, she was up in the air, the bite of the cold becoming stronger as her anger built up.

_______________

"Something's not right." Zane mumbled, receiving a raised eyebrow from Leo.

"And what exactly isn't wrong?" Leo asked, amusement taking place as he watched his friend pace the room.

"I don't know. I just feel like-"

He was wrapped in a tight hold, cold and thrill running through him at that one touch.

"Is someth-"

"No." 

"Okay." She relaxed her hold after that, hugging him loosely.

Leo shook his head with a smirk before leaving them alone.

Zane sat down on the couch, with Riyalin lying down on her lap, her facial expression blank, much unlike Zane's uncontrollable grin.

"Why are you so affectionate?"Zane murmured, getting no reply from the black-haired girl.

He glanced down and saw her eyes were shut, the crease in her brows gone as she became peaceful in sleep.

The door swung open behind them and Zane huffed in annoyance.

"Leo get out. I swear-"

"Who is this Leo you speak of so casually?" An unfamiliar voice demanded, making Zane turn around faster than he realised he could.

The weight on Zane's lap lifted almost immediately, Riyalin standing in front of the man with one hand on the hilt of her sword.

"Father." Riyalin addressed him, slightly bowing her head at him, but her posture didn't relax.

"Riyalin, my daughter. I hear you've gotten everything an estran could wish for. Court, power and," He let his eyes trail before landing on Zane with a smirk, "love."

"I suppose I'm extremely lucky in that sense." Riyalin forced a thin smile and a humourless chuckle.

"Yes, I suppose you have. When are you solidifying the bond? After-"

"What?" Zane interrupted frowning at Riyalin and then at the King of High Court.

"Oh, would you look at that. He's either brave, or extremely moronic." Riyalin took a step in front of Zane, completely blocking him from view with her wings.

"He has moments where he lacks judgement." Riyalin forced out, lowering her head in sign of apology.

"Oh don't apologise. Do let him talk." Her heart stopped in that second, afraid of what might happen if she moved to let her father see Zane, or if she decided to disobey him.

Riyalin grit her teeth and moved to the side, keeping her wings tucked behind her back.

"Ah, so normal." Kalmin remarked with a slight sarcasm.

"I find it intriguing." Riyalin responded easily, but the unease in her didn't leave as easy.

"I would assume you do. And you, boy, what do you think of your ordinariness?" Xavier asked Zane, casually folding his arms.

Riyalin prayed and begged internally that he would answer well, with no negativity but outside, she was the definition of a controlled monarch.

"I would never want it any other way." Zane replied determinedly, and Riyalin held back a groan at the answer.

"Never, you say?" Xavier taunted, and Zane nodded defiantly.

"Father, please. I need to prepare him for the ceremony." Riyalin pleaded, but her eyes were set harshly on Zane.

"Very well. Send a snowflake when the ceremony starts." Xavier flew off and Riyalin spun around, facing Zane with a new found fury.

"What is wrong with you?" Riyalin growled lowly, no where near as calm as she seemed with Xavier around.

"What? He asked if I would change myself, and I would never." Zane replied easily, receiving an infuriated snarl.

"Are you daft? He's asking if you'd give up your mortality to become the King of Winter." Riyalin gave Zane a pointed look.

"Oh."