Chapter 10

*Drake POV*

I groaned as I woke up, rubbing my throbbing chin as I tried to make sense of what had happened. I sat up slowly and the world blurred in and out of focus. Before I had time to adjust, I heard Nessa yelling at me.

"Drake! Oh my god, you're awake! we have to go!" she cried. "He took Ariel!"

He took Ariel.

Those words echoed through my brain and I shot up. I looked frantically around the room, praying that she was wrong. I scanned the room twice before accepting that Nessa was telling the truth. I was frozen in shock for a moment before I turned sharply toward her.

"What happened?" I demanded, a wave of anger breaking down the wall of shock that formed in my mind. Nessa's eyes went wide and she started stuttering.

"He took her. After he punched you, you collapsed and I ran over to make sure you were okay and he grabbed Ariel. We both fought him but he shoved me out if the way and picked her up and just left with her. Drake, we have to do something. We have to call the cops!"

"Not yet." I said shaking my head. "They're not gonna listen to us. Kidnapping is a pretty serious accusation and we need to know where he took her before we call."

"He took her to the lab!" she yelled at me. "Where else would he go?"

"I don't know!" I shouted back. "That's why we need to be sure!" The two of us sat in silence before Nessa quietly spoke.

"What are we going to do then?" for a moment, I had no answer. Then, I stood up and grabbed my car keys. With a sigh, I threw them toward her and started to walk out the door.

"You are going to drive me to the beach. I'm gonna go get us some help."

~~~~

"This is insane!" Nessa shouted as she followed me to the water. I ignored her and threw off my jacket. She caught it and took my silence a a chance to keep yelling. "Going down there is practically suicide! You can't do this, Drake!" I remained silent as I took off my shoes and walked into the water. It lapped at my ankles eagerly and I took a deep breath the prepare myself for what I was about to do. Loud splashes sounded behind me as Nessa ran into the water. Within moments, she was standing next to me. "Drake, you can't do this. Ariel said once you took the potion you would be changed back."

"Well," I said quietly. "I guess it's a good thing I never drank it. I'll be back. Hopefully with reinforcements." Without waiting for a response, I took a final breath and dove into the water.

I would think changing forms so quickly would hurt, but I hardly felt a thing. I knew from past experience that the swim to Ariel's city was long, but time and distance seemed irreverent. I swam as fast as I possibly could, praying all the while that I would make it there in time. Hell, that I would make it there at all. The sea blurred around me and my mind was racing, fueled by the rampant thoughts in my mind. Finally, after how long I'm not sure, I saw her city.

As I swam through the barrier, I tried to think of where I should go, who I should tell. Within moments, I made my decision and swam as quickly as my tail would let me to Ariel's house. Once I was there, I began to pound on the coral door, the thuds softened to almost nothing by the surrounding water. But, merpeople had amazing hearing. Soon after my banging started, the door flew open and I was confronted with a startled Cathy.

"Drake?" she asked in confusion. "What's going on? Ariel said that you were gonna be gone for a few-"

"I don't have time to explain. Where's your parents? I needed to talk to them right now.