Chapter 36: The Starless Midnight of War

The next morning was not significantly different than all the other mornings that came before. I performed rounds at the infirmary in quiet. The only deviation was me giving blood and asking that it be delivered to the chief washer.

It wasn't until the golden light of dawn gave way to the more diffuse light of afternoon that I felt the shift. Mindless, open chattering about all the supply wagons entering camp filled the infirmary. Speculation abounded that the Lord High Commander was preparing for a grand battle. There was a kinetic, breathless energy that was wholly separate from the task of saving lives.

I had no doubt that Sirius had ordered more supplies to be brought to camp. There was a very real possibility that we could fail at the parley, and, then what? We would be forced to either surrender, which would never happen, or make a final push. We wouldn't survive a final push. We were outmanned, outmaneuvered, and outplayed.

Around noon, one of Sirius's pages came to collect me. In silence, we walked to the perimeter of camp, where he led me to my old friend, Sirius's black warhorse.

Before I could protest, the boy shook his head. "Commander's orders," he said, leaning close, voice hushed. He then handed me the horse's reins and helped me into the saddle.

"His Excellency has requested you wait here, Miss," the page added and reached up to hand me my sheathed short sword.

I quickly took the bundle from him and fastened the sheath to my hip.

"Strange seeing a girl in the cavalry," one of the men called over to me. He was dressed neatly in the black of the Horde. His tawny face was lined, revealing him to be in his middle years, and his dark brown hair was slicked back, giving him an oily appearance.

I lifted my head and threw him a stern glare.

"Not that I'm complaining," he chuckled. He urged his horse closer to mine. "I am Captain Makris."

"Riverly," I said stiffly.

"I know your name," he laughed. With keen alacrity, his light brown eyes surveyed the men mounting their horses. "We all know your name, ma'am."

I wanted to choke at that thought.

"Not many girls keep company with both the Lieutenant and the Commander."

"I'm a very good medic," I assured him, pointedly.

He wagged his brows at me. "Not many girls requisition the Second Order, either."

My gaze flitted across the squadron of men, hoping to find at least one familiar face. Captain Makris made me nervous. I didn't like the way he watched me, with such intensity, as if he was looking for a thread to pull to unravel my many secrets.

"That's what happened, right? With the Second Order." His chin lowered to his neck, and a smug grin slit his lips.

I frowned. "What do you think? Do you think a girl could have possibly commanded members of the Second Order into her employ?" I forced a harsh laugh at this. "What a fantastical rumor."

"Yeah," he said, eyes glinting with all manner of unspoken mischief, "that's exactly what I think happened."

"You're a fool, then."

He did not blink. His smile only grew wider. "You may be very good at requisitioning men, but you're a terrible liar."

"Thao," said Sirius, staring at the Captain. In his gloved hands were the reins to a large, pale warhorse. "Are the men prepared?"

"They are, sir. What do you want me to do with the girl?" He jerked his chin in my direction, and I repressed the urge to roll my eyes.

"She rides with me."